Why is religious education seen as such a bad thing?

I personally feel that each person owes it to themself and to others to educate themselves to what other religions believe. Now, I'm NOT saying that they need to look in to religion because they want to change paths, just that I think if nothing else you can't talk religion to someone if you don't know what they believe...

But when I built a religions "education" group I'm seen as this horrid person and I've gotten nasty messages both publicly and privately... Why is it so horrid to want to educate people and help bring peace?

**posting anon only so that this is not seen as an ad... The last time I posted it someone reported me and it was deleted because it was an "AD"... Even though the web address wasn't in it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you, actually, in that educating ourselves is very important, as it not only ensures that we at least understand each other (and leads towards tolerance and respect), but it also helps us in determining our own beliefs and making them stronger as well.
    I'm sorry people are being so negative about your decision to have a group about it - I actually think that sending you rude messages and all that is rather ridiculous behaviour, as no one's making anyone join and there's no reason for anyone to be rude/mean. People are just proud of their ignorance and arrogance, I guess.... Its a shame, really it is.
    Oh, and, if I'm not a member of your group already, invite me!!!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm extremely interested in all sorts of religions. I'm not a religious person myself, so I don't really have any bias towards anything except Christianity (that's what I used to be). And I might know who you are...but then again maybe I don't :P

I think it's a great thing and shows how humble a person is by how willing they are to learn about someone else's beliefs.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with you. I think people SHOULD educate themselves on other religions, beliefs, etc. so that they can have actual facts instead of what they ASSUME to be true. However, no one is allowed to tell anyone what they believe anymore because people think just listening to what others believe, or just being told a fact about a certain religion, belief, etc, is the same as someone putting a gun to your head and threatening to shoot you if you don't agree with them. It's stupid. This world is filled with a bunch of spineless babies that cry racism, discrimination, or hate if others just state their own opinions or views on religion, life, or anything in general.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with you. It is unfortunate that some people are threatened by the idea of "other" religions being tolerated or discussed seriously.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think people should try to educate themselves on it. I don't even mind it in schools if it is put in the right category. If they wanted to teach religion (yes even chrisitanity) in Philosophy or World religion than great. I do how ever get upset if they try to teach it as science. It is not science and has no reason to be taught as such.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was raised that I was part of the only true church upon the face of the earth, why would I want to learn about others? All I needed was in that church. It was never encouraged and the thought of listening to things outside the church was seen as tempting the devil to change your way of seeing things.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I think its smart to know about other religious paths so that you dont have those misconceptions going on and you can understand people and paths for what they truly are and what they truly believe.

However, I also see why some wouldnt because that fear of it taking away from their faith can be scary. Why look into things you have been taught are not truth? Or things you are taught are of satan? Why even tempt him to enter your heart or mind,etc? I think that stops many from learning facts.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Education breeds tolerance, tolerance breeds acceptance and if that happens then majority religions lose their ability to strong arm people and they lose their ability to preach false information about other faiths.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ITA with anetrnlov.

Sorry you've had so much negativity... people become so irate when faced what they perceive to be a threat to their sense of self. And honestly if their identity is wrapped up in being Right and a holder of the one and only real Truth, and in eschewing even understanding other faiths, then you ARE threatening that. And I say keep on doing it - gently, lovingly, peacefully: speak your truth.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think people fear that a person will lose faith in their own religion if they learn too much about other religions.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 7:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think it is probably fear. When a person is not secure in their own beliefs then they are afraid of being swayed by others. I know what I believe and so I enjoy finding out what others believe. That is if we can agree to disagree. If we both go in knowing that we aren't going to change one another or argue then it's great.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009