Do you ever give homeless people money, when they beg?

I use the freeways daily. There are to many homeless to count, who seem to fight for an exit ramp space. I do not give them $, do you? I know they are in hard positons, but I just don't trust that they are all homeless, or the $ will help, when they smoke cigarettes as they beg?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There is usually at least 50 scattered among the main entrance and exit ramps. If I give to one....I have to give to all and I can't cross that line; not when they are all huddled to see who gives in. I laugh when the catch tourist Every morning while stopped at the light on my exit ramp, I tell the same old man "Good Morning" and he replies with " It's good to be alive, how bout ya bay?".
    I was bringing goodies to work for Christmas and he was the only one out, I thought to myself "ahh so and so can do without a bag", and gave him a bag heaping with fudge, pralines and lots of junk; I told him Merry Christmas and he cried. He never asks for anything and I will never ask his name.

I bring majority of my leftovers to the homeless across the street where I work. There's only 2 of them and if we don't eat them they get thrown away. So I figured, what the heck, I hate wasting anyway.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I never give money. If I am in a giving mood, I give food - usually fruit. Apples, Banana's, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh, and a bottle of water.
    CarolynBarnett

• The only time my DH and I ever give homeless people money is when we're in a bad neighborhood and we're scared they might get crazy with us. We don't want to put our kids in danger so every once in a while we do.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 6:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Just food/water.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• on occasion but more times than not i ask if they are hungry and what they want to eat and i'll get it.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 6:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• There was a segment on 20/20 or one of those type shows a few years ago regarding panhandling. It can actually be a well paying job. The average "pay" of those used in the segment was $39,000.00!

I was assaulted in a store parking lot by a homeless guy. I was able to fight the guy off with a bag of potatoes.

Since then I am just kind of afraid. I am not mean though. My hubby and I give generously to the local shelter. I made up some little inexpensive index cards with the address, a map and a short note explaining why I probably came off as a bitc$. Since then I have only had 1 guy act kind of peeved. I am thinking he wasn't really hungry, but looking for money.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was twice homeless, once with a little baby girl and never begged money from strangers. No I do not give them money.
    Anonymous

• Yes, but the only time I see homeless people are when I go to NYC, which is once a year. I live in Upstate, NY in a rural area.
    Anonymous

• I give to organizations.
    Anonymous