Repost: Looking for more answers. Breast-feeding and hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with it a long time ago and have been taking meds for it ever since. I am due with my first in September and really want to breast-feed my baby. I asked my OB if it would be safe or even possible. He said that the pills don't pose a problem and that everyone's body reacts different, although most women are able to breast-feed without complications.
Have you or anyone you known with thyroid problems breast-fed or tried to?
Any stories would help out alot! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group, if you would. Among our 20,000 plus members we've had more than a few with thyroid issues, who were quite successful in breastfeeding. Your doc is right...the meds aren't an issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have hyperthyroidism and i've had a really tough time breast feeding. Its been like a rollercoaster. First of all don't use a nipple shield they suck unless you really really have to. My baby was depended on it for like 2 months.. and when or if you get a iud or start birth control be prepared for it to slow down a lot... I don't think my supply has been affected by the pills i take which are levo something... i've been breast feeding for almost 5 months now.. its so hard to keep it going you really have to want to do it and keep it up.. but because of your concern i can tell you want to do it. Good luck and congrats.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 8:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009