Best way to give my daughter her nasty iron supplement?

Help!!! My daughter's iron levels are low so I have to give her a supplement. The problem is, it's really foul tasting. She doesn't bottlefeed, only breastfeeds. She drinks water out of a sippy cup, but it doesn't mask the taste. She hates juice and baby food. She eats solids, but it's kind of hard to put it in that. Any idea's on how to get it to her?

mammacita9

Asked by mammacita9 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• well does she throw it up? you should be able to use a dropper and just deal with a fuss
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• How low are the levels, and were they taken through a finger-prick test? That one isn't very reliable.

You can get her more iron by choosing the right solids...there is some info on kellymom.com on iron supplementation that will help.

Never used iron drops here...my doc doesn't recommend them.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i had to use them for my dd too, she had the same issue with juice i just tried to squeeze it in the back of her mouth as far as possible then offer her something to drink
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I give them to my son. I hold his mouth open and insert the medicine past his tongue against his cheek. If he just swallows he doesn't taste it as much. If he rolls it in his mouth he gags. Just try to get it past the tongue as much as you can. Then offer her a drink. I found that doing it against the cheek is easiest because it just falls down instead of going through the obstacles and taste buds.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• How old is she? Unfortunately, most doctors don't have the opportunity to learn about nutrition. Rather than a supplement, I would try feeding her iron-rich foods with a vitamin C food (vitamin C increases the absorbtion of the iron). This can be as simple as cooked beans mashed with orange juice.
    If you scroll down this page, you will see tons of iron-rich foods listed: http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2009