repost of how do i wean my 9mo old ds from boobies when he isnt on the bottle no more

chris...
ok well i know juice and water arent filling him. he barely drinks an entire sippy a day. he eats solids stage 3 and my foods. i give him nutritious foods tho. like whole grains, fruits and vegis and lean meats. and formula feeding is ok. but im haveing an issure with it. he just dont want it.. he wets 6-7 dipes a day and goes poopy every or every other day so i know hes not backed up or anything. and i started him on 2%milk and hes ok so far but i add a scoop of formula or 2, to it depending on the oz of liquid there is of course.. hes ok with it in all. but like. hes oober attatched to me. and hes having terrible sepparation anxietys. like hes currently in his play pen in arms reach of me freaking out.... like he naps with me. sleeps for bed time alone tho. in his own room. but has never been able to nap alone?

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 6:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just don't give it to him at all, and if he doesn't like the formula switch to a different kind, try gentle ease. My son gave up his bottle at 9 months, he just didn't want formula any more, so we would give him at least 3 cups of whole milk a day, he eat his food fine and he drank water and milk during the day. Just don't give in and over time he'll take the formula but again try switching formula or just give him whole milk and no more formula or breast milk.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 6:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Weaning will not make him less attached, nor will forcing a detachment ease his anxiety. You'll only make it worse. Logic and science say a child will gain independence alone AFTER security is established. And doctors and nutritionists agree on no milk before a year and baby must have breastmilk or formula for at LEAST a year. Formula tastes and smells disgusting. If baby refuses, you have to keep nursing. I promise it's the best thing you can do for your child. Nothing but good can come from it. A 9mos is meant to depend on his mother. It's normal. So there's no need to fight it and take away a wonderful source of nutrition/comfort.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• He's normal...you're trying to fix something that isn't broken. He'd be doing this even without breastfeeding.

He'll be able to separate on his own when he's ready. When you try to push it, you actually make the situation harder.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• He needs formula or BM before solids. Just because ur filling him up doesn't mean its nutritious for him. And WHEN he's a YeAR old he should be getting whole milk NOT 2%! That's not good to give him. U really need to talk to ur doc about this so u know. Stop asking for advice that u know is wrong. Nobody on here hopefully will justify the way you are feeding him. Quit filling him with solids and give him BM!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I totally agree with calliesmommie, I am not sure exactly who told you its okay to give a baby under a year 2% milk, but its not, while its not going to hurt them it does NOT have all the nutrients in it that your baby still needs, you seriously need to speak with his doctor about this before you do it anymore, just like callies said even though you are filling him up and he is getting enough to eat doesnt mean he is getting the nutrients that he needs, also weaning him from BF will not stop his clinginess its because of his age that he does that, and he will grow out of it before you know it, so enjoy it.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• dont be ignorant, there is not a dr out there that will say its okay to stop all formula or breast milk before a baby is one, everything else up to that point is just for practice, and those foods are not an absolute, stop being selfish and do whats right for your baby
    Anonymous

• sounds like he sences the distance and still wants his mommy. Bring the bottle back!! hES NOT READY for the cup it sounds like. 9mons, they are still a baby and need their baba, formula breastmilk exc.. nap time sounds like a seperate issue. get him secure again and STOP THE MILK!! THEY ARE ONLY LITTLE ONCE, DONT RUSH IT. GOOD LUCK P.S. whole milk at 1yrs old good luck, and you will be glad you got the bottle back!
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ok well NO ONE told me 2% is ok. he and i both are lactose in tollerant. so i have him on soy frmu;a and 2% milk. i figured it would be easier on his lil tummy. u gonna battle me cause of that too? people ask questions for advice. not to have the people who choose to answer them turn it into a friggin arguement. i still bf him 3 times a day!!! but he gets solids right after he bf's. and snacks and his sippy thru out the day. and im trying to wean him, because *my health* is deteriorating. so if in any case somthings going wrong with me and it can be passed to him.. i would feel more upset about that. i dont know if thats possible. but i am and do have my sons best interest in mind. and as for his peedie, she said its fine for him to have some milk. as long as i dont use it to replace me. which im not. in any case im putting formula into the milk cause he seriously wont take the frmula alone. and thats how i can get him to.
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• to add. i didnt want to have to wean him, it hurts me to because i do love and cherish the bond bfing gives. im the only ONE in my family whos actually chosen to bf. and as far as that goes, im proud i did it for as long as i could. every little bit counts, i have fenugreek pills to take if i chose to pump. and a dbl electric pump to boot. i just dont know if my body can take it any more. im very ill. and i dont want to hurt my son or make his separation anxiety worse. but... what am i to do...?im giving it my best. i hope someone can see that. :'(
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 12:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009