Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you help for a friend in a custody battle?

Okay my friend that I babysit for just got served papers for her sons custody. First of all she was considered date raped when she got pregnant with her son. She couldn't do anything about that do to Nevada law.
The da has not been in her sons life since 2 February's ago. He's never paid any child support, She's paid everything for him since day one. She has 2 jobs to help provide for her son and he's trying to use that against her. She has no idea what to do and is very afraid. She is meeting with some lawyers. She does not deserve to pay lawyers hundreds of dollars whens she's been giving her son everything and taking care of him. n Does anyone have any advise I could give to her to help relax her or save her from paying outrageous lawyer bills?

Answer Question

Asked by caralove at 6:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • She should check into legal aid...but absolutely should NOT go this alone.

    Did she file criminal charges against the guy? If she didn't, she can check to see if it's possible to do now. If not, that can work against her. He might be able to get partial custody.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Yeah she's been taking care of him all by her self for this long and he's just fine. They will not take him away unless she's on drugs or neglecting the child, if she's not doing any of this then she'll get full custody. And they will make him pay child support, so it works in her favor, what an idiot he is! He's not going to get custody and he's going to have to pay child support. As soon as a parent is declared full custody the other parent HAS TO pay child support, so she's going to be getting more than she even wanted. Tell her to relax, they always work in the mothers favor especially if she's taken great care of him! Tell her she's fine, she's going to get full custody!

    Answer by VasquezFamily at 7:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • he's supposedly doing drugs and had some guy says he has a job.
    No SHE's not doing drugs at all. She tried to file criminal charges against him but couldn't. I think he's an idiot, he's trying to say she with holding her son from him, which is not true. He has not at tried contacting her, just her roommate. He's an idiot cause I think he's going to end up paying in the end!!!!

    Answer by caralove at 7:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Been there. Yes tell her first off to go to the attorney general and file asap for child support. Like I'm serious go at 8AM in the morning! He will have to pay child support from the day that the child was born with interest not from the day you file the suit. This will likely get him to backdown on its own. If he ever handed her money under the table undocumented then she doesn't have to tell them about it because that would have been considered a present not child support unless he said this is child support. There are programs and lawyers who go probono for single moms or she can try to get a court appointed attorney for free. I'd spend the money and get a good attorney. As far as trying to contact her tell him to bring phone records and prove it. She can go to the phone company and request phone records for the past two years and should do so asap. Have the lawyer request an immediate drug test on him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Btw if he doesnt pay the back child support he can go to jail. My ex got put on probation for 10 years for getting $6000 behind in child support in a similar situation and did three months time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.