What do I do if the 3 day method of potty training fails?

I'm potty training my 21 month old dd using the 3 day method. Basically, you put them in underware for 3 days. After peeing on the floor a lot during those 3 days, your child should be potty trained. They're supposed to learn what it feels like to pee and figure out that they need to get on the potty before then. My dd already pees and poops in the potty a number of times a week, just not consistantly. So, my question is, if, by the end of the 3 days, she is still not potty trained, what do I do? Do I assume she's not ready and start over later, or just drag it out a few more days until she gets it?

DayDaysmom19

Asked by DayDaysmom19 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 21 months is a little young, & that method probally won't work
    Anonymous

• never heard of the three day method, all i can tell you is to keep doing it just keep at it...don't give up. If you back track it would be harder, they get confused. I would however, put her in pull-ups instead of underwear, they worked great for my daughter. Then when she becomes more consistant with using the potty all the time, switch to ' big girl underwear'
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I trained my daughter using that method at 19 months. She did beautifully. But it took us 5 days. It's actually a method that's been around for a very long time without a name, without the guarantee that it will happen in 3 days. But it is, to me, a method that makes a lot of sense because it conveys clear expectation to the child and if you give her the opportunity, she will rise to the occasion. So keep it up... she will get it. I do NOT think it is too early or that you should assume she's not ready. But you do have to be committed... otherwise you'll send a mixed message. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific advice or have questions.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Also, I'm assuming in your brief description of it that you left out a lot of things... it's not 3 days of peeing on the floor (although a lot of pee may end up on the floor), but rather, 3 days of finishing a pee ON THE POTTY! Moving her to the potty as she starts to have her accident so that she finishes there is CRITICAL! And reminding her that that's where pee pee goes, and rewarding her for that partial success each time is equally critical. If you're not already on the "potty training moms" group here on CM, check it out. THere's a good permanent post on this. (maybe this is what led you to this method in the first place).

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree that she's too young. If you insist on doing it then I wouldn't count on it taking just 3 days. Just continue the training but personally I think it's a bit cruel. She's not getting the concept so young. Many little ones who get trained early go back to soiling themselves later. I always waited until at least 2 to even attempt it. If the child wasn't ready then I'd wait a while. It's about when the child is ready not about how fast you can get the child trained.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We do naked potty training. For my son it took 5 days at 2.5 y for my daughter it took 2 weeks at 18 months. My younger daughter ia still has accidents at 3.5 but she has problems far worse than potty training. GL!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The daughter that PTed at 18 months has never had an accident except when she is sick.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My daughter who trained 5 months ago at 19 months only has an accident once or twice a month. On second birthday she was speaking in paragraphs and not sitting in her own excrement. I don't see what's cruel about that. Not long ago, the majority of kids were trained by two. And waiting too long can bring about certain psychological resistant that isn't common among kids trained younger (stool withholding, fear of the toilet, etc). The 3-day method is good because it takes out the power struggle -- the child isn't made to sit on the potty unnecessarily (which quickly starts to resemble time-out) -- she is quickly taught that the potty has a specific purpose. It's not for everybody, but it's not cruel or unusual. It's a very matter-of-fact way to go about potty training. Most children become capable of bladder control after 18 months -- after that, I think most kids are ready if their parents are ready.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• That method is a crock and she probably isn't ready yet. She will be when she tells you she pees or pooped, taking the diaper off, bringing you a diaper and maybe staying dry through the night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• HaHaHa! I'm sorry but I have to laugh at all of you who said she is NOT ready yet! I wouldn't have tried it if she wasn't ready. And you know what, it worked!!! She was literally potty trained in 3 DAYS : ) Monday was day one and she only used the potty once, the rest were accidents. Day two she used the potty 3 times and day three, she did not have one accident! She is not even sleeping in diapers now! She is completely potty trianed. Thanks for the support, though ( being sarcastic of course).

To those of you who did give me advice and support, thank you : ) I'm one happy momma!
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009