Are underpriveleged people not allowed anything nice in life?

Or was I dreaming when I read that "the pursuit of happiness" is included in our Constitutional Rights?

Do you have to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth to have the right to buy something nice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It depends on what it is that you want....and what you are talking about.

You can buy anything you want, if you can afford it. If you can't afford it, or the banks don't think you can afford it, then I guess you aren't buying it.

Did you get denied a loan or something?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No..I was referring the the ignorance of some people.
    Anonymous

• Nope, you don't! Who says otherwise anyway? Or is it the price of that something nice that's the real problem? If that's the case, who says you cannot sock a little away over a period of time? I've done that and gotten what I really wanted but couldn't afford...Don't let the bast***ds get you down honey! If you want it bad enough, you can find a way...
    Anonymous

• I'm not talking about me!!!!
    Anonymous

• Well, I think our founding fathers had the right idea. However, they forgot about the human race as a whole. People are sooo judgemental! I think if nosey people spent their time working on their own lives rather than trying to tell others how to live, the world would be a kinder more gentle place. Welfare was an idea of the government, we vote our government in. So instead of my telling a person on food stamps their kids can't have a cupcake or a Happy Meal now and then, I should write my Congressman about what I don't like about the system. Either way I am most likely beating my head against the wall but at least I am not telling someone else how to live their life. Until you live a squeaky clean life....don't know anyone who does, then I think MYOB is your best bet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm assuming you're referring to that food stamp question. I don't think the poor should handed an extravagant lifestyle. But to think that no one on PA deserves anything but the bare minimum is cruel. I think PA recipients have the responsibility of being sensible w/ money. But they don't have to live dirt poor or nearly starved to deserve help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm not talking about me!!!

LOL
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It seems like the answer is "no" around here.

People swear that families on PA should be wearing rags and eating dog biscuits and trash.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I know exactly what you're talking about.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I will say, it depends. . . are we talking wants or needs. I feel that needs must be taken care of before wants. If the "nice thing" in question is safer housing in a better neighborhood/school system or a more reliable safer car then this is fine to spend extra on. If we are talking about want like designer clothing or expensive shoes then the buyer must look at the big picture. Have they taken care of all their needs? Do they have extra stashed away for a rainy day? Is this product that much better then a lower cost equivalent? If the answer to any of these questions is "No" then the expense cannot be justified. This doesn't mean that the "underprivileged" should eat kibble or wear rags but they should prioritize their spending.

PS "pursuit of happiness" is from the Declaration of Independence and is just that a pursuit and not a guarantee or right.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2009