My son is BURNING UP!

My son seems so hot! I just know he is running a fever, but my POS themometor keeps saying his temp is only like 95.6! What do I do? I am really worried about him!

wyattsmommy626

Asked by wyattsmommy626 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a warmish bath (can't be cold because it will shock him) and anything lower than his temperature will help him. If his body doesn't naturally break the fever give him Motrin or Tylenol and if that doesn't break his fever in about 30 minutes take him in. My doctor friends said it's not how high it gets it's how the body responds to it. The body is supposed to cycle through it and if it cant then there is a problem.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Take him into the hospital. If he feels that hot and his temp is reading that low, he needs to be seen ASAP.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Try giving him a shower. That always work for my DS. and then put light shirt or pajamas.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would go get a new thermometer, then if its the same he's fine. If its high try tylenol or motrin, if its still high in the morning call the doctor.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• That is some what similar to what my 18 mth DD is going through! I would just give him Tylenol, warm (not bath) and a diaper! I always hold her and rock her and let her know that its okay! So what ever you do DO NOT FREAK out in front of him because that immediately gives him the instinct that something is wrong.

leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 8:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you were to get another thermometer I would definitely get one that you have the ability to take a rectal temp. My pediatrician always wants to know that temp before going to the hospital.

leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 8:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• is he acting normally? i don't pay close attention to the temperature, just the way my daughter is acting. if he's still drinking enough, and eating, and not lethargic or too tired, i would just put him in a lukewarm bath and then something breatheable, cotton shirt or whatever. if you feel it's needed, motrin is a lot better than tylenol for younger children.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 9:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• He still is playful, but it is like his temp is going up and down. I gave him a lukewarm bath and while he was in it, he seemed to cool off, but as soon as I took him out he was hot again! I took his temp under his arm and it was 102.1! But, my mom said that he did not need to go to the ER because he was still playful... I just put him down for bedtime but we was still feverish. I gave him some Motrin... What sucks is I just started my job TODAY and it is like I can't risk getting fired because I have to miss work the next day :(
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Take him to the ER. If you are that worried he needs to go. He is more important than your JOB
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• As a baby my daughter would wake me up at night because she was sweating so much. I lovingly call her my little heater. She is now 7 years, very thin and just has a high metabolism.
    I do like the idea of getting a different themometer or better yet checking with his doctor to make sure there isn't an actual problem. But, some kids are just like that.
    Mommy2Odette

Answer by Mommy2Odette at 2:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2009