Myspace...for an 8yo?!

My best friend and I have practiced the philosophy of "every parent has a different parenting style that they truly believe is correct for their own family; as long as it's not harming anybody, it's nobody else's business." However, she does MANY things I don't approve of. I've pretty much always kept my mouth shut, but I think this time, she's gone too far! She set up a Myspace page for her 8yo dd, who happens to be my 9yo dd's best friend. Not only did she set it up, but she also didn't put any controls on it. She set her up as being older than she is. What should I do, if anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's awful. :[ Let kids be kids. They don't need Mypspaces or Starbucks.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• myspace is just a website for kids to hook up, i doubt anyone is going to hook up with an 8 year old but there sure are a lot of inappropriate pictures and groups on myspace. i'd tell her that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think you should just let her be. Every parent has their own way of parenting. As for the whole myspace thing, I think it would be ok for an 8 year old to have a myspace IF the parents have the password- and set it up so that no person over the age of 18 can contact them- cause there are tons of perverts on myspace. I personally would rather my son have a myspace that I know of, instead of one that he might hide behind my back.
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 7:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You could report it to the admins on Myspace if you really wanted to. But other then that there isn't a whole lot I can think of that you could do to get it shut down against her will.

I suggest that you sit down and talk with her about why it troubles you that she signed her daughter up for it. Sit down and make a list for yourself, google police reports for minors being accosted by adults or perverts through use of the internet, and google for incidents that have happend to minors that have used myspace. I believe one girl might have commited suicide from the bad remarks that people left her, and I think another girl (off the top of my head) might have gotten molested.

So, make sure you go in prepared. Let her know that you have a 'keep your mouth shut' policy when it comes to how others raise their kids, but how you would never forgive yourself if you kept your mouth shut on this and god forbid, something happend.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think anyone under the age of 16 shouldn't be allowed to have a myspace but what can you do? My sister got one when she was 13, and had a 40 year old man sending her messages. And yes he knew she was 13...she didn't lie about her age on there. Needless to say my mom made my sister give her her password, reported the guy and put a bunch of controls on her profile, and also made my sister delete all her friends that she didn't know. I would NEVER allow my 8 year old to have a myspace. There are so many creeps that use it just to target young children. I would just politely ask your friend what the hell she is thinking? Maybe make her aware of the dangers of myspace and how it is very inappropriate for a child so young. I mean seriously, how many of daughter's 8 year old friends are going to have a myspace too? Probably not that many. I'd say something but thats just me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with ethan's momma, with telling her that you don't normally try to interfere with another parent's style, but that you are just really concerned about the potential consequences of this decision. And the idea of the list is also good. Maybe seeing the potential consequences in black and white will open her eyes. A lot of the time, we tend to have a "it can't happen to me/us" attitude about things, b/c it hasn't happened to us so far, so we can kind of pretend it doesn't exist, or it doesn't happen "around here". Maybe seeing some real instances will help her realize that it CAN happen to her/them, and it CAN happen "around here". If she still won't listen to reason, then I guess all you can do is sit back and hope like hell that nothing bad happens.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Honestly why in the hell does an 8 yr old need a myspace page for?? Its an adult site. whether there are blocks on it or not.. Im not one too tell somone what too do with there own child. Just like I wouldnt take too well to somones rantings about my parenting skills. Not much you can do .
    Anonymous

• An 8 year old doesnt need to be socializing on the computer at all as far as Im concerned. Games and school work for now. I would concentrate on keeping your daughter on tract. Encouraging her to make good choices and to come to you when things trouble her. If things get out of control and your not comfortable with what your friend may expose your kiddo to, then that would be the time to say something. I would let her know that you dont allow your daughter to go to myspace and would prefer that didnt happen while she was at her house. If she is truly a good friend........this request will be no problem.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Report it to myspace and it will get deleted.

No way no how would my kids have a myspace at that age....especially with NO controls!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Disney has a social network specifically for kids under14.  It's at Disney.com.  It has a lot of parental control options less publicisedinformation and kids friendly games.   Try to give her that as an option.  Maybe she doesn't know about it.  Or if she chooses to continue to allow her child on myspace and it becomes an issue with your daughter you could allow yours to do the Disney site.  Maybe if your child is on Disney and likes it her friend will join to leaving myspace for the older crowd.  I agree though.  What they are doing as far as setting the account up is against the rules and regulations of myspace.  If they find out the account will be deleted.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2009