Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband blew the rent money.What can I do?

We are already a month behind on rent and today my husband decided to blow this month's rent.We only get a check once a month(we both get SSI).What can I do? How long would I have before the landlord would want to kick us out?And I know that he is irresponsible.As soon as I work some things out,I WILL be leaving him.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (16)
  • sell your stuff on craigslist

    Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Here in WV the landlord has to give you a 30 day notice before you have to be out of the maybe you have an extra 30 days to come up with the money....
    Good luck!

    Answer by mominbolt at 8:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • I would start pawning the stuff that I could or selling it out right. You could talk to your landlord to try to get an extension on your rent, however if he decides to evict you, I think you have up to one month after the actual notice until you are forcibly removed. But I would check on that.

    I don't know what your current status is, but I would try to get any kind of job asap. If you are able to show that you are currently working and will be bringing in a reliable paycheck, it may look better to the landlord.

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • wow that sucks! read your lease agreement since every landlord is different (most ask for a 30 day notice, some also give an extension on rent; i.e. my landlord gives us 15 days then we have to pay a late fee). have you spoken to the landlord about this? if you've been good in the past about rent, maybe he/she will just slap a big late fee? GL

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Actually, if you're already a month behind, you've already violated any lease you have, so he can tell you to leave any only give you 5-10 days to get out. If you aren't out after 10 days, he can have the police department or sheriff come and make you leave. I don't know that there's anything you can do. Sell whatever you can and try to pay the rent. You obviously have a computer, you may have to sell that in order to make rent and get another one way down the road when you're financially stable.

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • You could always work online for free and get paid everyday! You can then take that money and make payments until you are caught up! Here are some free, real and legit ways to make

    Get paid to get your mail out of the mailbox! Either at home or at the Post Office! No FEES!


    Get paid to play games and do surveys! NO FEES EVER!


    Answer by SweetKYmom at 9:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Just being nosy. What did he blow the money on?
    I would say kick him out and move on now rather than later. You might call your landlord and explain what happened and ask to have him removed from the lease? I dont know girl bad situation. My heart goes out to you.
    To answer your question where I live you'd already have a notice on your door saying be out in three days or less.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Get a job, sell plasma- like other's have said you can try to sell stuff. You can also ask friends and family members for help... keep in mind though, even if you pay your rent, that doesn't mean they have to let you stay.

    Personally, I would let my husband deal with it since he was the one that put you in that mess. Sorry this is happening.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • don't sell your stuff, sell HIS stuff. beat the shit outta him and make him collect cans out of trash bins to recycle. seriously, leave the ass. he's spending YOUR ssi money! that's YOURS! he shouldn't even be allowed to TOUCH the check/money. break his hands so he cannot hold it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Op here-Thank you all for the advice and info.To answer a couple of your questions, he blew it on gambling.And he didn't touch my money,he blew his.But we only get 674 a piece.Rent is 755 plus utilities.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.