satanism and motherhood?

before i ask my question, im not hating on any religion, just curious as to how this works after reading another post about satanism.

i am under the impression that satanists are selfish, not sure to what extreme as i really dont know anyone who is, although most people i know are atheists. but my question is how does the "selfishness" of the religion tie into being a caring nurturing mother? everyone has their own definition of care, so im not putting anyone down. just would like to see some of the answers. thx.

allybot

Asked by allybot at 8:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Me, Owl Feather! ...unless you know someone else too ;)

I am a modern or atheistic Satanist, but the ideologies are pretty much the same for all types, theistic or atheistic (except the actual devil-worshiping psychos, who don't count as Satanists). All Satanists are different, as we don't follow a book of "rules" like some other religions, so I'm just going to answer for myself. It's not completely about selfishness. It's about doing things that make you happy and benefit you. Many people think we do things like overdosing on drugs, random sex with anyone, and other things like that. This is not true. Going overboard is not going to benefit you or bring you happiness. Neither is being extremely selfish. It will cut you off from those you love and that won't make you happy. You are to use your own knowledge and common-sense to realize at what point something can hurt you. ......cont...........
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• click
    Anonymous

• what an interesting question!! I don't know how that works. I have met only one mom on here who practices satanism, but I cant remember who she is otherwise I'd totally ask her for you! I hope you get some good answers! i'll check back!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Well, IMO (although not a Satanist...) I see it as to what degree you are "selfish"...

I think that in general its not that Satanists are supposed to be "selfish", but they are encouraged to do what makes them happy. As opposed to doing what society deems "right" in a certain situation. Such as divorce or partying...one religion says stay together no matter what/for the kids/etc and I think a Satanist view would be to leave if it makes you happy. Same with partying..some would say that mothers especially should stop going out dancing/drinking or doing the occassional recreational drug, but Satanists say as long as it makes you happy, then its ok to do it.

IMO its all about how MUCH you allow your personal wants to override the wants/needs of your kids. But, plenty of Xtian (hindu, whatever) women can be selfish in that regard as well. And plus, women in general have a hard time putting their own needs before others. CONT
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• statement 4 of the nine basic statements of Satanism in the Satanic Bible says "Satan represents kindess to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates." So technically your children deserve your love.

Also Satanists often refer to Crowley's famous Satanic saying, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" and really loving your children is something that brings parents great pleasure. So that would be explainable.

I am not a Satanist, I am a Christian by the way : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• CONT...

and Statanism probably encourages women to also take time for themselves (not a bad idea)

There are women who are a religion, but will wear designer clothes while thier kids are dirty and ragged or they will spend tons of money on makeup, but won't let their kids have $20 to go to the mall...

I think its just a matter of personal choices vs family choices...and thats true for a woman/mother of ANY religion (or lack there-of)...

*Any Statanists feel free to correct me on my assumptions...just speaking from what I've heard/read...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• good answers, i probably should have thought about it a little more before i just asked it. ;]
    allybot

Answer by allybot at 8:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• metalcowgirl will love this question, I am sure. She is a practicing satanist, so i am sure you will get her opinion and views on it.
    But to answer you question, i don't think they are really selfish in the sense that they think of only themselves. It is more of a very strong sense of self preservation and self-worth. And some of them (like mcg) don't even believe in an actual entity named "satan." As far as I know, she believes that good and evil is inside all of us. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, metal.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My impression of Satanism is not that it 'demands' selfishness, but that it encourages you to spread your kindness where others are kind to you and not to waste it on those who will not return it. A Satanist would not be discouraged from loving and caring for their kids above all else... they just would not feel duty bound to 'love those who hate you' in the way that some other religions stress.

Honestly, I don't think Satanism is any more 'selfish' than most other religions... there are a LOT of people who have a 'me first' philosophy regardless of what religion they practice. The most negligent mom I know is an acquaintance who barely sees her daughter- after work she goes to yoga/massage/gym every night and does not come home until after her daughter is in bed. When she has a day off, her daughter goes to daycare. Nothing to do with religion- she just doesn't 'enjoy' being a mom and tries to do the bare minimum.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Some need a religious text or religious leader or lawmaker to build their moral compass around....we do not believe this is necessary. Morals are within us all. They may be slightly different from other peoples', but in general, they are there. Atheists realize the same thing.

My focus on benefiting myself and making the most of my life while I'm here on earth includes keeping those I love happy and healthy too. That's where taking care of children comes in. Me and my immediate family are the most important things to me. I don't worry about others unless they prove themselves worthy of my caring. I don't feel a moral obligation to love everyone as other religions preach. I think this is impossible. My love is saved for those who really deserve it. I have the same love for my daughter as anyone else. I would never turn my back on her for ANY reason (unlike some religious people I've seen on here.)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009