food for 2 for 2 weeks

i have about $75.00 to get grocerys for me and my hubby for the next 2 weeks. we really dont eat breakfast so just lunch and dinner and he works so i have to pack him a lunch. what i am going to make over the next 2 weeks? i am pregnant and will not eat seafood. he doesnt really care for pasta but will eat it everyonce in a while. help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Items you can get a lot out of I would think : rice, whole chicken with bones that you de-bone yourself, see what's on sale at the grocery store. Carrots are also cheap, bananas. bread, peanut butter (it makes decent lunches). Salsa goes a long way to accompany white rice and chicken.

Good luck... I hope some of this helped.
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 8:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Well my husband and I had to live off of $200 for a month just to buy food for us. We went to a store where everything was sold cheap and we were fed for a month with only $100. So I would just buy whatever is on sale, even if you don't like it, you have to do what you have to do.
    mommy-17

Answer by mommy-17 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Buy lots of Chicken, (mac and cheese, ramen noodles, hamburger helper, can veggies), Ground beef make spaghetti, buy lots of white bread or wheat get some garlic bread, buy some balony or ham make sandwiches and drink water or koolaid for now. ( I know you said your dh doesn't care too much for pasta but hey when times are hard there is no time to be picky) my dh is the same way I tell him hey I am easy I'll eat anything if we can't afford it ,but when we can we do splurge on ourselves. Just make the best that you can you will be fine eat right for the baby atleast just don't go hungry. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would first try to make a menu plan for the next two weeks. Planning so you only buy what you will actually use goes a long way toward cutting costs. For lunches, I would do some peanut butter, and some bologna or ham with cheese sandwiches. Both of those types of items are rather cheap and go pretty far. For dinners, I would buy a 5 or 10 lb bag of potatoes, you can make: mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, floured potatoes, cheddar taters, potato salad, roasted potatoes, homemade french fries. You could probably get cheeseburgers and sloppy joes out of 1 lb of hamburger for the two of you, and then I'd just look around and see what kind of meat is on sale. Frozen veggies are cheap, and can be either a side dish or an ingredient in a casserole, such as sheperd's pie. A couple of cans of soup could be one meal. That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I know this really wasn't the question, but check w/ a local food bank. Put your pride aside and just see what's available. You are pregnant and eatting healthy is extremely important! Have you checked to see if you qualify for WIC?
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Instead of meat, use beans, lentils and tofu; use dried beans and lentils instead of canned.
    Send me a note if you need some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I know you want suggestions on what to cook. I can't really help with that because I'm not much of a cook. I can however share a opportunity to make you money so you don't have to struggle to buy groceries. Please don't think that I'm just trying to get your business. That is not my intent, I don't need your business. I just truly want to help you, and I have see this business makes so many people live changing amounts of money in such a short time. I hope that you will at least take a look at this video and know that you can change your situation. http://www.efusjonenergyclub.com/flv/fulllength.html Let me know if I can help! For more info here is my site https://www.myefusjon.com/AmmyWilkins
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 2:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• That actually seems like a pretty workable amount. I'd look over sale flyers in your area and hit the Dollar store. Scope out your pantry and fridge and use up what you can. Cook from scratch. Consider complimentary non meat proteins, like rice and beans or lentil stew and biscuits. Try breakfast foods for supper, like eggs or pancakes. Vegetable soup from using less expensive veggies (carrots, cabbage, green beans) with a bit of tomato paste and a beef buillion cube or soup bone. Roast chicken pieces over rice with a vegetable or two. Chicken stew. Lentil burgers. Pasta or ramen with veggies and slivered meat. Homemade baked stuffed potatoes with cheese sauce and brocholli. .Don't buy sodas. You can make a gallon of sun tea pretty cheaply if you want something sweet. Five bags per gallon of water set n the sun, a cup of sugar a packet of lemon Koolaid. Or drink water. Egg salad, pb& j or leftovers for lunches.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 4:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009