Is it possible to potty train before 2 years of age?

Everyone tells me there is no way I will be able to potty train my son before 2 y/o, but I want to start when he turns one, since he already at nine and a half months shows curiousity in the potty, I've been told its impossible, so is it? And if so what is the average age for boys to potty train? TIA

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • Every kid is different. On average, boys are harder to train and it takes a bit longer. This is not to say that some moms have not had great sucess with training early. I have three boys and they were all right around three when they were trained. If you son is showing interest gently help him along. Personally I do not think Pullups are a good idea. They are expensive, you don't get many for the money and they feel just like a diaper. If he is uncooperative wait awhile. My rule of thumb was start when they are 2 and it will take you a year, start when they are 3 and it will take you a week. This was par for the course with my 3. Books about the potty can be helpful as well. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• yeah, you need to wait until he is at least 2 years old. then he will be able to tell you when he needs to go potty. also, its going to take a while to potty train a boy. definitely when you do potty train him, put a piece of toilet paper in the potty and tell him to aim at it. it reduces the clean up risk. its going to take some time though. be patient. yeah, it sucks waiting until he is 2 but its for the best. DS is 10 months and he shows interest in the bathroom. but he cant tell me when he went or if he needs to go.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yup, it's possible. It also depends on what your definition of "trained" is. I know someone whose kid pees when she puts him on the potty (every 2.5 or 3 hours ish), but doesn't ask to go. But who freaking cares, she's not changing diapers. She just sets him on it and he goes. He's 2. I know several who were trained at 18 months, and would "ask" by walking to their potty. They didn't verbalize, but they communicated that they needed to go. My 2 year old was trained by 2. By the skin of her teeth, lol, but it was by 2.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh, my definition, for my house, is asking and going, not just me setting her on it. My 26 month old stops playing, runs to the potty, goes, wipes (I wipe poop), flushes, washes hands, and goes back to play without any help. I always wipe poop, just in case, but she does okay with that.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can start as early as a month to train your child. I never thought THAT could be possible, but there are some parents who use elimination communication and i think what that is is basically reading their babies facial and body signs to know when they are going to "go". I never did that but just thought since you asked how young, I know that's the youngest i believe. LOL

My youngest was 18 months fully potty trained the rest were all later. My latest were the twins and they had just turned three when they were fully potty trained with no accidents.

I think if your child is showing interest it wouldn't hurt to sit him on the potty and just see what happens. Don't yell for accidents and you have to be extremely patient when they sit there, sometimes it may take up to half an hour or longer to get them to go. Buy a potty watch, it play music when it's time to potty.(settings are 30/60/90 mins). Good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• At one, we started putting my son on the potty while we were in the bathroom, doing hair or other grooming stuff. He messed around with it and was simi interested. He was fully daytime potty trained at 18 months, by 2 he was fully night time trained. He'll be 3 in december and hasn't had an accident in over 2 months.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my oldest son was potty trained at 2- i started with him at 18 months and he when it got close to his bday i gave him regular undies that he hated feeling wet in (i still used pull ups at night for those oops moments ) but for the most part he was going on his own at 2- my middle was potty trained at 28 months and im still working on my youngest who is 23 months
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It is defintely possible. My son was day trained at the age of 23 months and my daughter who is 2 today was day trained until we started day care 2 days a week at 23 months old. She is still day trained at home, but not at school. When they start to show interest then start putting them on the potty. We used stickers as a reward and when they filled the chart they got a toy from the bin (I had a tote with dollar store toys).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2009