My 9 month old used the pot?!

My 9mo DS is in daycare. His teacher told me today that he peed in a training potty twice today. She sat him on it & he fussed a bit, but he then went.

I was quite excited, but I don't think he understood what he had done. I mean, I think it's way to early to start! I am sure that she put him on in a short while after he had a bottle, making it a coincidence that he peed in the pot. And I highly doubt that he's going to crawl to the pot, whip his diaper off, and pee in it. It's just not realistic.

She suggested that I buy a training potty to use at home. I think it was just a fluke & he won't do it again. I mean, I could easily put him on the pot after he's had a bottle, but I think the training will become obsolete considering the fact that he'll still be in diapers for a while...and he won't just automatically know how to use the pot when he turns 1.

Is this good practice or should I just leave it alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree with you that it was a fluke. a 9 month old is not going to be able to use the potty at such a young age by himself. when he is 2, thats another story, though. i would just leave it alone untl then
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Why is a daycare provider putting a 9 month old on a potty?!?! No, I would not buy training pants until your son shows real interest in the training chair. Some children do potty train very early, but too many are forced to train early for the parents' and daycares' convience... wrong answer! At 9 months old I don't see him being able to associate the sensation of needing to pee with the actual action of peeing.
    armycoppertop

Answer by armycoppertop at 8:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I be questioning that day care facility that thinks that a 9 month old should start working on potty training!!! a 19 month old, maybe. Not likely, but maybe, but not a 9 month old!!! Seriously, ask her what's wrong with her that she's taking care of kids and thinks a 9 month old can even understand anything about potty training. Geesh!!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I also agree with you, i think it was a fluke... I would personally watch and wait for those potty training signs. I MIGHT get that chair... kinda cuz you're gunna need it later on anyways... but I personally don't feel you'll need it for a little while longer anyways! They always say "a mother knows best" so go by your gut feeling on this one.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i agree with armycoppertop

This is way to young to think about potty training....can he even walk yet????!!!????
    Why the hell are they trying to train him now???
    Sorry but, if i was his aprent they would have some issues. Theres no way he decided he had to go pee, so ask yourself this????........How long did they hold him on the potty, b4 he actually went??? I'd be pissed. Its your choice when to start training your child not theirs, they have no right!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It is NOT a fluke. My oldest son was potty trained by 10 months. Potty training this early is much easier than potty training when they are 2 or 3 years old. You will only have to put a diaper on him at night. I am potty training my 2 year old right now. This is from personal experience. I don't know why everyone has a problem with potty training early. It means that you won't have to put a diaper on you LO during the day. Think of all of the money you are saving. Obviously, your LO is ready to starting the training. Take advantage of it and also, the fact, that the daycare worker is willing to work with him when he is in her/his care. You are not forcing the issue.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Sounds like you are at a montessori day care? Yeah - this is normal. Montessori recommends (well, I dont' know what she recommended, but the practice at the schools now is) backwards training. As in, the LAST sign of potty training is that they ask to go. They start when the kids are sitting up and crawling putting them on the potty. There's not a lot of pressure or anything. A few of my friends use a montessori day care, and they have been diaper free since 18 months with very few accidents. Like 2 a week. One is dry at night, but even his mom says that's just luck.

My 2 year old was potty trained on her 2 birthday. I remember, because it was the night before her birthday, and she just jumped up, said "poop" and ran to the potty. We still have accidents about once a week or so, but that was that. We had been "training" for about 2 months. No pressure - just potty trips, potty stamps and fun.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hmmmm that sounds kind of funny...my son is 10 months old and I dont think he would just crawl to the potty and go. Im sure it was right after his bottle.

Also I think its a little weird that they are sitting a 9 month old on a potty...they can get sick real easy by that...faster than a child over a year...but thats just my thought on that.
    MommyOfJnM

Answer by MommyOfJnM at 10:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• its not that bazaar of a concept, i practice elimination communication (ECing) with my son, we began just before 6 months, and now at 10 months, he is almost out of diapers. its a myth that babies don't know when they are going, they are just trained to ignore their bodies signals when they are in diapers (especially disposable).

for more information, have a look at the MotheringTools website what is EC

that explains the concept pretty well.

no, your 9 month old wont crawl to the potty, whip off his diaper and go, but it will make training much easier in the long run, if he is used to 'going'  somewhere other than his diaper. i know many, many children who REFUSE to use the potty at 3 or 4, because they prefer to use their pants as their person toilet. id keep it up. it cant hurt :)

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 10:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009