how long does it take to recover after a tubal ligation?

I am scheduled to discuss this with my doctor June 4th and i am very concerned. I have a seven year old who will be okay but i also have an almost 3 year old who is more like a 2 year old and wants mommy to hold him all the time. SO took tine off work but i'm not sure how long the recovery takes?

angie2719

Asked by angie2719 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• There is a new procedure that is being done. There is no cutting or recovery time. It take about 13 minutes for the procedure to be done. Soft, flexible micro-inserts are inserted into the fallopian tubes. No incisions are made. The doctor will go in through the vagina & cervix. Over the next several weeks, scar tissue grows over the inserts so the sperm can't reach the egg. After 3 months, you will be tested to make sure that the procedure worked and you can't get pregnant. You can find out more info at essure.com. I am considering having this done myself.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• About 2 hours! Seriously! While considered a major surgery (because of going under general anesthesia), tubals are an outpatient procedure, and from check in to check out you can expect the whole thing to last about a 5-6 hours. Only a couple of small incisions of will be made through your belly button and on either side of your abdomen (where your fallopian tubes are located). You'll have a little tenderness (feels like a bruise) where the incisions were made...the stitches will dissolve within a week, but you'll be able to be "mom" again within a few hours and some prescription Motrin (or equivalent).

I had my tubes tied when my younger son was 10 weeks old--and I never missed a beat! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009