How can I slow down my breastmilk production?

I am leaking like crazy. He sleeps more than he eats so I just fill up and leak so much. I tried pumping but then I have bottles n bottles and still enough to feed him when he wakes up.

Simplyme623

Asked by Simplyme623 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• firstly, they say you should wake them up when you are producing that much milk. but if you are trying to slow down and are serious about it...just stop feeding/pumping so often. your breast may feel really hard at first, massage them....you can get in the shower and run some warm water over yourself and massage in circles in there.....but simply....as often as you pump and feed is what demand your body tells your supply to meet.....
    luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I had the same problem. You need to stop pumping unless you are actually going to use the milk sometime. Have you heard of supply on demand? That means the more you nurse/pump the more you will produce. If you start to get engorged you and hand express some to relieve the pressure (you don't want to get an infection or clogged milk duct) but pumping on top of nursing will increase your production. Be thankful though that you are producing a lot of milk though. Oh, and have you thought about donating milk since you are producing so much?... also putting cabbage leaves on your breasts will decrease production.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Have you thought about freezing some of it? I wish that I had when I first started nursing because I made a lot more than I do now. It's really hard to pump enough milk to have a supply.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• also, the doctors will tell you to wear a smaller bra or a sports bra, it is supposed to help dry you up some. I never tried it, but you should definitely stop pumping if you don't want to produce so much you may be sore for a day or so, but eventually your body will stop making so much. your body is designed to make as much as your baby is eating, && by pumping your body thinks it needs to produce more to keep up with the baby's needs.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree. Pumping just aggravates the problem and causes you to make more. I had a major oversupply problem and stopping pumping did help. It will take a several days to start to see a difference, so you will just have to get used to the leaking until it starts to subside. If that doesn't help after about a week, you can try feeding the baby from the same breast for two feedings and then switch to the other for two. Continue this pattern until the supply has regulated- then return to your previous method. This will trick your body into producing less.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You will find the answers you are looking for at Oversupply

Basically you want to stop and avoid pumping, feed frequently and on demand, offer only one breast per feeding.  You may need to offer the same breasts for a few feedings for several days to get your supply down.  This is described in detail in this link.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• smaller bras will cause you to get breast infections or clogged milk ducts... don't do it!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Go with maggiesmom's link. Do NOT wear a smaller bra unless you want to risk clogged ducts or mastitis which is really a very painful thing to experience. That advice was given with good intentions but it is wrong wrong wrong.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It will level off after awhile. I would just take advantage and freeze it. I froze a TON and it has come in very handy! (my supply drops eain half each time AF shows up and I need to supplement with frozen milk until my cycle is over) Also, with me, we are starting to wean... but when I'm done I still have about 25 bags of milk I can give him... so it's great to have a bunch stored up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• dont stop pumping...give the milk to me! haha i cant make enough for my twins. So we formula feed AND breastfeed. Thats awesome you have tons of milk :)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2009