Help...my hair turned orange!

I tried to put in highlights last night...I have naturally dark brown hair and I wanted to add in some light brown highlights....I now have very brassy orange streaks!!!! I look like a pumpkin!!! How do I get rid of it? Would it look silly if I tried to cover some of the orange by adding in some blonde highlights or will that just make the problem worse or do the same thing and turn it orange again....what are your suggestions? I never dye my hair and got a wild hair up my butt and now this happened!!!

meegan26

Asked by meegan26 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• assuming you don't have color on your hair, your hair turned orange because a) the product wasn't strong enough to lighten your darker hair, or b) the product wasn't left on long enough.
    adding blonde(assuming, again, you'll be the one doing it) won't fix the problem. you'll still have the orange strands to deal with. i'd cover it with a demi-permanent light/medium brown, and make an appointment with a pro to give you your desired shade of highlights. however, come clean with the colorist about what you have done/is on your hair, so they can avoid any mishaps.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• p.s. I don't have the money to go to a professional :( or I would have done that in the first place.
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Looks like your stuck with the orange for awhile. Or, like thehairnazi said....color the whole thing. Or, get to a pro.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't touch your hair with any more chemicals. Something like that happened to my sister. She used straight peroxide on her hair. She is a brunette. It turned her hair about the color of a pumpkin and fried her hair. She went to a colorist. The colorist refused to do anything with my sister's hair since it was too dry. If the colorist had colored my sister's hair, it would have broken off because it was so damaged. My sister went out and bought a deep hair moisturizer by Tresame and used it for about a week to a week and a half. She went back to the colorist and was told that her hair was ok to color. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• cover it up with your natural shade and use a violet undertone to counteract the orange. just use 10 volume developer to deposit the color you get. dont get anything out of a box, try to go to a sallys beauty supply or somewhere that is open to the public and they should be able to help you. good luck!
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009