How can I stop thinking?

I think to much and overanalyze everything and every situation.Im so used to bottling things up and not having anyone to talk to that I just sit and think especially when a argument occurs or a conflict happens.I was diagnosed with depression and I know this is a trait of it but I want to stop.How could I stop thinking so much!

ICanOnlyBeMeT

Asked by ICanOnlyBeMeT at 9:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• Wish I knew... I have the same problem!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 9:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Recognize that it is part of you, for one thing. I can tell you exercises to help slow down speeding thoughts, but I'm not sure if they will help- well- on the other hand, why not try and if they help then good. One is concentration. Sit comfortably, and set on a table in front of you something that you like looking at- a flower, a twig, a lit candle, etc. Breathe in slowly, drawing energy into your body, collect the tension in your body and breathe it out. Continue to breath slowly. Become aware of your breathing. Look at the item in front of you. Look at it. Don't let your mind wander. If your mind does drift, gently pull it back. Set an alarm for 5 minutes and do this at least once a day until you feel comfortable, then increase to 10 minutes, 15, as long as you like. You are training yourself to listen to your body and to control your thoughts. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thinking is not a bad thing, but you need to direct your thinking, get control of it, like Bmat suggested. Another thing to try is journaling. Just start writing whatever comes into your head and soon you may find that you are directing your thoughts instead of them directing you. Journaling is also very calming.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009