Need opinions on dog breeds

My hubby and I are buying a bigger house and we finally have a bigger yard that is fenced in. We are looking to get another dog..one that is bigger that looks assertive but is not aggressive , and is friendly and good with children. Since we are living in a bigger house I would feel safer with a big dog that looks like a watch dog type but with a great temperment. We have an almost 4 yr old daughter an almost 5 month old daughter and an 8 yr old shih tzu. Do you know of any dog breeds that meet these picky criteria? a few we were thinking were an american mastiff or a newfoundland???any ideas?

MamasGirls4ever

Asked by MamasGirls4ever at 9:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pets

• I have an English Mastiff and i wanted a dog to feel safe as well and GREAT with kids.Go to dogbreedinfo.com and you can find out about any dog! These are good dogs
    babybri

Answer by babybri at 1:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• lab
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• The best dogs to have around kids hands down in my opinion are labs. They are the best arous kids, lovable, protective and not assertive. My ds can yank on my dogs tail, scratch her eyes, pull at her fur and crawl all over her and she doesnt blink an eye! They dont look very intimidating though, unless you get a big black lab male.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Labs are good. Personally I like the Giant Schnauzer as a guard and family dog. . . mine thought she was a lap dog and was pretty accepting of our Yorkie when we brought him home. Her bark and her looks were good enough to scare the pizza guy away, after he dropped the pizza (yippee freebie). A good resource to look at different breeds as a jumping off point for research is the dog breed guide from Animal Planet. http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

Oh, just a thought. . . consider a shelter dog. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• lab or retriever.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you are going with actually buying one from a puppy than a lab is great. But if you plan to adopt from a shelter try to go to a humane society shelter. We got the most incredible dog for children at our local humane society shelter. Because they truly care about the animals there they are very selective as to which dogs go to which family. being that we had a small child (under 2) they picked a 1 year old hound mix for us, of course we ultimatey chose to adopt her, but she was also the only one they would let us adopt because of our child. She is huge(100lbs) but the best demeanor possible and very careful and tolerable around all children.
    Anonymous

• Labs are amazing! We have had 2 and they have been great for our family. They are great with the kids....they dont mind the hitting, getting stepped on, poked, toys taken, etc. They are very protective. My dogs have both stood up for us on different occasions. They are people pleasers and train well. Great dogs all around!
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would love to get a dog from a shelter however we have small children and I want to get a puppy so it knows no different and knows my kids from the start. Labs are good I had one when I was younger but we want a bigger dog then that. thanks for the opinions
    MamasGirls4ever

Answer by MamasGirls4ever at 9:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm a Shepherd gal myself. But you really need to research that breed and see if it will fit into your lifestyle
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Here is a list, I preffer Pit Bulls and Boxer(Boxers are a mix of pitbull originally, most anyway.) http://www.therightdog.org/protective.htm

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009