Reply to feild trip answers from last..

Thanks for everyones advice last night. My son had a great time at SeaWorld today, meanwhile I was watching the hours slowly tick by.. but I survived and realize I need to "cut the cord" a little. Here's my question: I spoke with the teacher before the trip this morning, I asked her how bathroom breaks happen on a trip like this.. if my child has a female chaperone will she just send him into the mens restroom alone? She said he was with a mom chaperone, but the 2 other kids in his group are boys, so she'll probably just send them into together. This was not the best answer I could have gotten. My son is only 5.. I NEVER send him into a mens room alone or with kids his own age. I had to let it go for today, I think there should be a better way.. who knows who might be lurking in those park bathrooms.. Any ideas? Agree/disagree?

scout575

Asked by scout575 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd love to say you are way over protective and your looking for trouble. But, in this day and age your probably right. It makes you wonder........wacko's are not a new thing. They have been around sense the dawn of man. Why are we more afraid of them now?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with you, they should have found another way. It would have been a problem for me too. I am very over-protective, and i know it. But i really believe i have to be, with all that goes on these days. Its very sad, but my kids have a tight lease and always will. If he is five then i don't see ny reason why the female chaperone couldn't bring him in the womens bathroom, i've seen little boys in there before, its not a problem. I've also been to seaworld, they are in there too. Maybe suggest that on that next feild trip??............So i agree with you 100 %
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thanks for your answers.. I think we are more worried these days because it happening more.. more sick men hiding out where children are. I have heard horror stories about public bathrooms and I would rather over protective/ cautious than sorry.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Scout575, I worked as an activity director in a nursing home. This was about 15 years ago. A gentlemen in his mid 90's and spry as could be and I were talking about "then and now". He was born in the late 1800's and seen more changes in the world then our generation will ever see. We were talking about crime and how its changed. He told me "ya know, its always been around. Bad people doing horrible things. Now days there is much more publicity is the only difference. I believe thats true. I believe that we are much more vocal in the here and now then we were in prev. years.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• A response to mistynights.. yes.. that is probably true to a point.. but if you look at the stats.. there are a lot more people in the world now than there were then. A LOT!! Hence more crime,, more abuse being "paid forward" to younger generations than ever before. Yes, we see things clearer cuz of the media but there is also more crime to follow..
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son is almost 5 and has jusr started being allowed to go into the men's room byhimself a some places. SeaWorld wouldn't be one of them for me. I think I would have been okay with him goingin to the rest room with the other child as long as they went in and came out at the same time. I would also want to know that the chaperon was right outside the door. Doe sea world not have a family restroom? They really should. All theme parks should for that very reason.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• A public bathroom is a scary place for a mom of a 5 year old. I remember always standing outside of them and hollaring in while some guy was coming out looking at me crazy. "You okay in there?" Even when my boy was 7, 8, 9. Now he's 11 and of course I still worry about perves. I'm constantly aware. You have to play it safe. I'm sure the chaperone did just that. But you know being over-protective is better then no protection at all.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009