Toddler Viral Infection

My 3 year old has been suffering from a viral infection since Tuesday. He has two ulcers on his throat, one on his tongue, the roof of his mouth, his cheek and two on his lips. Needless to say I feel so helpless that he is in so much pain! Anyway, I hadnt been able to brush his teeth until today and even that was painful for him. He has hardly eaten anything either. His breath at this point smells really bad, like rotten eggs and I am assuming that has something to do with the acids in his stomach from not eating. The doctors said there was nothing I could do for the ulcers, but I can't believe that. What can I do about his breath and his pain?

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 9:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would have ur son wash his mouth out with warm salt water at least twice a day. it sound like it will hurnt but it wont. my dd had ulcers in her mouth and thats what i had to do for her.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Honestly, there really is nothing. My daughter has had that a couple of times. Tylenol and motrin is about it. One thing our doc had us do was give our daughter benadryl, like 3/4 t. but we gave it to her 1/4 t at a time. The benadryl helps to dry up the ulcers. I'm so sorry your son has this, it's miserable for them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oh and the benadryl should be dye-free
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2009