Toddler Viral Infection

My 3 year old has been suffering from a bad viral infection since Tuesday. He has 2 ulcers on his throat, one on his tongue,the roof of his mouth,his cheek and 2 on his lips. Needless to say I feel helpless when he is in pain. He hasnt eaten hardly anything and I havent been able to brush his teeth until today which was very painful for him. My concern is his breath. It smells horrendous, like rotten eggs. I assume it's from him not eating and the acids in his stomach. What can I do? Also, the Doc says there is nothing I can put on his ulcers but they seem to be getting worse!

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 10:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, there really is nothing. My daughter has had that a couple of times. Tylenol and motrin is about it. One thing our doc had us do was give our daughter benadryl, like 3/4 t. but we gave it to her 1/4 t at a time. The benadryl helps to dry up the ulcers. I'm so sorry your son has this, it's miserable for them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• burdock root rub it on the lips and give him half a capsul of powder or less in a drink?/?ask a herbal doc about this for right dosage
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Can he chew some mint leaves? You could get some mint tea and see if that would help. I don't know what else to suggest. Poor baby. What you described makes me hurt just thinking about it. I hope he feels better soon.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• The virus is called Herpangina, and it's quite painfull I hear
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies.
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 10:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• sounds similar to foot and mouth disease. When my oldest had that, they gave us a numbing spray that worked well, and I made him alot of bland luke warm soups (cream of chicken), and let him eat alot of soft serve ice cream and popsicles.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009