Infant with bloody stools?

My sis has a 4 mo old baby that was born 5 weeks early. She has had several problems. Here lately she has been admitted to the hospital because she can't keep anything down...if she did she had diharrea. She was dehydrated. She finally started keeping a lil down and they sent her home. Now she is back in the hospital because she had blood in her stool. It turned into being completely blood. She poops pure blood. The doc's haven't said anything yet and my sis is freaking out. When she was in the hospital the first time they said something about the area where her stomach is connected to her intestines, it's supposed to open/close/open/close. Apparently the babys is either staying open or staying closed. We are completely dumbfounded. If you know anything about something like this or can point me in the right direction, please let me know asap please.....Thank you so much.

DixiesMama

Asked by DixiesMama at 10:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish I could tell you more, but here's what helps when I'm trying to find out stuff like that....go to ask.com and type in infants with severe bloody stool and see what comes up. Keep us posted!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• is baby formula or breastfeed?
    Anonymous

• Things that come to mind would be Intussesception... usually starts with diarrhea and then turns into what they call "currant jelly" stool (because that is what it looks like)
    Of maybe a C.diff infection... which also causes diarrhea and can lead to bloody stool

The sphincter between the stomach and intestine is the pylorus... and the condition where it closes is called Pyloric stenosis... but the symptoms don't seem to match up. Symptoms of this start with frequent spit ups that lead to projectile vomiting... not usually diarrhea or bloody stool.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009