Do you think this chest pain is serious?

Okay, I've always had chest pain, but it's always been gas related, and sharp gas like pain. For the past hour, I've had a sharp pain, but it's kind of a dull ache too, and it's in a different spot. It's about an inch to the left of my sternum, and I can feel the pain from my back (under my shoulder blade) to my breast. Could this be gas too? I had some soda today that I drank pretty quickly, which normally is the source of my upper GI gas pain. It comes in waves, and I assume that if it's something serious, I would be in more pain, and it would be constant. What do you think? Is this ER worthy, or should I just wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• I am partial to being the over reactor... that is since my Aunt whom I was very close to died of a heart attack that she ruled off all the symptoms as being "gas and normal"
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• When I was pregnant I had extremely severe heartburn in the form of bad chest pain...I honestly thought I was dying. What you're describing sounds pretty much exactly like that. Just remember...if it seems different or in any way serious to you, you have every right and are totally justified in going and getting checked out. It's definitely better to be on the safe side then to ignore something potentially serious.
    Anonymous

• maybe it is your gallbladder. when I had gallbladder attacks it was in my back all the way around to under my breast.
    Anonymous

• Gallbladder is on your right side under your right rib into your shoulder blade. Have you ever in your life had any trauma to your chest? I thought I was having a heart attack many times..and they have checked me many times for gallbladder and turns out I have ribs out of my sternum. One of the ribs pushes up against my gallbladder and my lungs..I know nice.

Have you eaten a tums or Maalox..something? If you dont have tums take a shot of apple cider vinegar. This should help you burp it out. The vinegar will settle the acid. Do some twists with your body too.

Drink some water too. I took a cpr class one time and they said if you are having a heart attack..drink water because it helps your lungs. Take an asprin. Do you have left arm pain? blurred vision, feel sick to your stomach? Do you have a crushing pain in your chest?
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Okay...I am not out to scare anybody, so I will start by saying that YOU ARE PROBABLY FINE. That said, I read in a medical journal that women often mistake mild heart attacks for indigestion or another minor ailment and fail to seek medical attention. Again, there is a very good chance that you are experiencing nothing but plain ole gas. Dozens of people wind up in emergency rooms all over this great nation thinking they are dying when they simply ate one too many chili dogs. However, any unusual (or for that matter, usual) chest pain is worth having checked out. It's always better to be safe than sorry. (SIDE NOTE: And again, you are more than likely fine...but my aunt had a heart attack recently that happened to present itself as sharp back pains. She lied down to rest and when my uncle got home she was pale/blue and he rushed to the hospital where they informed her she'd had a mild heart attack.) Good luck and feel better!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• had to be the soda..it happens to me all the time!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I survived a Heart attack. I was sweaty and throwing up and had diarrhea. I KNEW SOMETHING was WRONG. but I did not realize what was wrong.

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• OP Here, Thanks for all your help ladies! The pain went away after an hour or so of posting this and I was finally able to relax. The only thing that kept me from going to the ER was that it still felt like gas, and I didn't have any of the other symptoms that were mentioned in the previous replies. Also, the pain was on my left side, so I know it wasn't my gall bladder. I have pre-diabetes, so I know to look out for gall bladder and pancreas issues. :)

Thanks again! It must have been the soda. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2009