Can my 8 month old catch shingles??

My aunt has shingles, and my lil girl has been around her... can she catch them?? Should I worry?... Also my husband has never had chicken poxs... can he catch them too?

ryrysyf

Asked by ryrysyf at 10:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The ONLY thing you can catch from shingles is the chicken pox. My hubby just had the shingles last month. I was kind of hoping the kids would get chicken pox, but they didn't!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• They can both catch chicken pox from being exposed to shingles. Shingles break out in people who have had chicken pox before. They are a form of chicken pox. I got them when I was pregnant. NO FUN!!!
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• they can't catch shingles if they haven't had chicken pox yet, but they can catch the chicken pox but only if they touch the area that has shingles. I had shingles when my daughter was about 3 weeks old and they said as long as she doesn't touch the shingle area and as long as i wash my hands good after touching them then she can't catch them.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 10:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can't get shingles from chicken pox and it's almost impossible to get chickenpox from them as well. They aren't spread the same way as chicken pox and you would direct contact with the lesions (and still they probably won't get them) You'll see signs in 3-4 weeks if they do end up with chickenpox
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oops said that wrong... you can't get shigles from shigles and it's almost impossible to get chickenpox from them
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• give your aunt lots of love, shingles are painful.
    Anonymous

• Man.. I remember having shingles.. I got them while in a hospital. Most painful thing I ahve ever experienced. The only sleep I got for over a week was when exhaustion forced my body to shut down. It wasn't diagnosed for almost a MONTH. The DOCTORS didn't know what it was, it was my psychiatrist at the time (I was 16 or 17) who realized what it was. I had a weird as hell case. I was covered in them, and they usually just appear in clumpings, generally near major nerve endings.

I still have scaring from them, and I'm turning 22. *shivers*
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:23 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If she hasn't had chicken pox or the vaccine for it yet then no (and she probably hasn't at 8 months old) she can not get shingles. She can however get chicken pox from it. It is highly unlikely to get chicen pox from the shingles, but it is possible.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:01 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Many answers on here that are totally wrong. First off...shingles. Shingles is chicken pox, but it is a different form. The virus stays in your body (nerves) SOMETIMES the virus reactivates giving you another outbreak (shingles). It is very painful and is contagious to those who have NOT had it and to those who HAVE had a vaccine. You can NOT get shingles from shingles. Again, shingles is the virus in your body reactivated. 1 in 10 adults will get another outbreak (shingles). Now, you CAN get chicken pox from shingles. Shingles comes from the same virus that produces chicken pox. You would more than likely have to "touch" a sore that is in blister/crust form. You could also contract it from the infected person coughing in your face. My husband got shingles and our 8 month old son was in contact (contagious before your symptoms appear) and he has come down with chicken pox. That is the only exposure he has had. It's possible.
    sassymom0220

Answer by sassymom0220 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2009