• In the Spotlight:

stretchmarks?

Do stretch marks appear DURING pregnancy or AFTER you give birth.. I'm a little confused as I've seen pregnant women with stretch marks while pregnant, as well as some women with many stretch marks after giving birth and so far I haven't got any that i can see, and believe me I'm huge @ 35 wks. ( i THINK I see some forming under my skin though)
so whats the deal??!

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 10:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think they come during. You just can't see them til you have the baby when your stomach is flat again.
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I havent heard of people getting them after birth, that seems wierd since they come from the skin stretching not shrinking. Some people never get stretch marks though, it depends on your skin, some people get them and htey fade. Then there are people like me who get stretch marks pretty early on and mine dont fade :(
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 10:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You get them while pregnant and stretching. I lucked up and only got them on my butt and boobs. It took a couple of years for them to completely fade. Thats probably why you have seen them after the baby has come. It can take a WHILE to fade!
    Anonymous

• Mine have taken years to fade, and unfortunately they never go completely away. Still, you can look okay if you stay in shape. Use lotion a few times a day on your skin.
    krnrobey71

Answer by krnrobey71 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am 30 weeks pregnant right now and have gotten them really bad on my boobs, and some on my upper thighs near my hips. I have none on my stomach though. Stretch marks are actually genetic in the sense that you have a certain amount of elastin in your skin which determines how easily your skin stretches. Vitamin E lotion helps to prevent them and somewhat "fade" them but other than that there is not too much you can do for those little boogers.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I got one on my boob during... and none later. I used cocoa butter at least twice a day and whenever my stomach started to itch. I agree with Ash9724 wish stretch marks being genetic. My mother never got them after 3 kids, and I got 1.
    I have a couple friends who got them during delivary becuase as baby came out they stretched down there... but most of my friends got them in the last couple weeks or so before delivery.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was told that cocoa butter does wonders... I'm not sure when or where but I think I'm just going to put it everywhere... Even though the smell makes me sick :(
    Scaredsingle

Answer by Scaredsingle at 3:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2009