how is formula feeding working out for you?

this is for formula feeding moms, and there is no need to start drama with the war between brestfeeding and formula feeding! i am due in 4 days and would like to know how the formula works for your children because i will also be formula feeding.

rkm0731

Asked by rkm0731 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wanted to add that yes it is frustrating trying to pack enough bottles and formula for the outings, they have pouches that I would put ice packs into and it would keep my bottles cold until ready to use. Then I would go and any restaurant and ask for hot water to put them into so I could heat them up. I usually put 2 into my pouch and one in the side if it was close to feeding time (about every 2-4 hours.) I've seen some moms pour the formula into bottles with water in them when they are ready to feed their newborns and that way you don't have to worry about that formula going bad.
    Just some tips I've done and seen done...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It was a very rough start for us. My daughter would not breastfeed for nothing. So after two weeks of trying, we started milk based formula. took us 4 weeks to discover she was lactose intolerent (like her mama). So we started with soy. Worked great, no more crying during the awake times (that is all she did, if she was not asleep, she was crying). Then the soy constipated her. Now after 1.5 months of being on soy with a 1/2 ounch of purne juice in one bottle a day...Formula has been great. Good luck mama and I hope you have a great delivery.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• thank you very much vickwu!!
    rkm0731

Answer by rkm0731 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• in the begining I used the already mixed stuff. When she was first born we'd fill the bottles to the 2oz line and I'd prep all the bottles I had and put them in the ref. I think we went through 6 bottles a day... and then I'd still have 2 that were ready while I'd wash my other ones and start all over. I switched to the concentrate (which you do half formula half water) and I preferred that over the powder. When I wasn't sure if she was getting enough formula or if I thought she might need more, I'd add an oz and see how much was left after her feeding. I LOVED formula feeding becuase I didn't have to be awake all the time and my hubby, mom, and MIL were able to help! I had an emergency csection (she was breech) so getting up and stayin awake was hard for me!
    I hope this helps!! Congrats on baby! :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My kids never had a problem with formula, went well for them. Especially my son. If you find that your child is lactose intolerant there are also Lacto-free formulas out there, so you wouldn't nessesarily need soy, like we did with myson.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I formula fed 2 kids and it sucked. Trying to figure out how much to take with me not wanting any of it to go bad and have to throw it out. Ugh...
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Has been wonderful. Couldn't breastfeed so expresssed for the first 4 weeks then went onto formula. (doc said first 2 wks were crucial for brain development) Took probably 1 day to get used to formula (she never vomited but was a little unsure and constipated) Now she loves it. Just be careful with bottles because they get more air in their tummies and need more burping. We use avent anti colic teats which are working well.

I would suggest buying enough bottles for 1 full day then as you use then just put them in a steriliser and clean at night. i boil a full days water too and prepare the bottles (minus the formula) and store in ref

Look on the side of the can and make what is appropriate for her age. My dd rarely finishes this but at least I know it is there for her to drink if she wants.

She is healthy, growing, happy and above all so well!
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 12:42 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i love using the formula. my lil mija was on the che che but she started not taking and wasn't gaining weight. started her on alimentum (similac) and she gaining weight at first lil constipated but she had a lil lacto problem. i use the powder and for the outings i have a dispencer that has 4 compartments and you can premeasure the powder and store it there and pack the measured water and go. the lil dispencer cost between $2-$5 in walmart, k-marts or target or your local supermarket.
    msangie2003

Answer by msangie2003 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It worked great for us. Babies were full and fat and sweet. They are now 4 and 6. One is healthy and the little one seems to pick up more colds. I'm glad I did it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Formula feeding is amazing, IMO. They make formulas that come pretty close to having all the nutrients found in breastmilk. I breastfed while I was in the hospital but once I was on my own I failed, horribly. So I switched to formula feeding my first night home and have been doing it ever since. And it's so convenient! You can have someone else feed baby while you get other stuff done (or just rest)! Just make sure you make the amount of powder even with the amount of water. (For example, two ounces of water would be 1 scoop of formula.) If there's not enough water it's hard on the liver. If there's too much water they don't get full enough. Good luck and congrats!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2009