What can I do?

My 3 year old son has a temperature of 101.0 according to the ReliOn thermometer I have. I took it under his arm so I know his temp. is 100.0. (right)? He feels like he is on fire.
He has a sore throat, he won't eat, he won't play and I am struggling to get him to drink. He doesn't want to take a bath so I can cool him down. I am keeping a cold compress on his head, shoulders, neck, and back. I have put the Baby Vicks rub on his chest and back. Is there anything else I can do for him to relieve his discomfort?
I have been giving him the Chloraseptic sore throat relief strips, sometimes I spray the back of his throat. I am giving him a RX medicine given by his doctor and tylenol. I am looking for home remedies to break his fever. The onion in the sock won't work, tried it already. He won't leave it in there long enough to do any good. I hate the feeling of not being able to comfort my little man. Please help me help my baby!!!!

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• SInce he's not drinking anything and at this time he really needs fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated try the ped. lite freeze pops
    dabadstmom

Answer by dabadstmom at 2:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Under the arm temp goes UP a degree, not down. Sounds like you are doing all you can do without a trip to the ER. I was never an ER momma, but if it doesn't come down or he gets worse that is what I would suggest. Otherwise I would make another appointment with his doctor in the morning.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• the ReliOn website said that when you take a temp under the arm, it is one degree less than displayed...I am so confused. Who is right?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• if i were you i would call his ped now where i am they have a ped after hours or just call your local er and ask them .....if it gets to high i would take him into theER but try to keep him comfy till morning and call your doc ........tell them you need you son seen right away
    Anonymous

• just to update...He slept through the night after having an hour of pour moaning. I have given him some ice cream and he has been drinking ice water. He woke up this morning and his fever has come down a whole lot. The thermometer now says 99.0. (thank goodness) and I called the doctor just a minute ago, he said he doesn't need to be seen but keep a check on him for strep throat, there is a lot of that going around right now. AND IT IS SUBTRACT A DEGREE!!
    thank you guys so much for your tips.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009