Help me help my son.

My 3 year old son has a temperature of 101.0 according to the ReliOn thermometer I have. I took it under his arm so I know his temp. is 100.0. (right)? He feels like he is on fire.
He has a sore throat, he won't eat, he won't play and I am struggling to get him to drink. He doesn't want to take a bath so I can cool him down. I am keeping a cold compress on his head, shoulders, neck, and back. I have put the Baby Vicks rub on his chest and back. Is there anything else I can do for him to relieve his discomfort?
I have been giving him the Chloraseptic sore throat relief strips, sometimes I spray the back of his throat. I am giving him a RX medicine given by his doctor and tylenol. I am looking for home remedies to break his fever. The onion in the sock won't work, tried it already. He won't leave it in there long enough to do any good. I hate the feeling of not being able to comfort my little man. Please help me help my baby!!!!

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good old ice pack wrapped in a soft towel on the noggin for only 15-20 minutes at 30 minute intervals. Strip him down to his skivvies and only let him have his sheet instead of all the blankets. If it's cool out open a window. Check on him often to be sure he's not too cold. Make sure he gets the medicine as ascheduled. Set your alarm tonight if you are giving him Tylenol or something. Read him a story he likes that involves snow, penguins, christmas...get him thinking "cold thoughts". Sounds funny but thoughts become things after all! He'll be better in no time :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• aww, last month my son had a cold, and it was awful. I felt the same way as you do. I just held and cuddled him for about two days straight! its basically the only thing I could do besides go by the docs orders. Good Luck, and I'll pray your little man gets better soon!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I used to try an make my little ones sweat it out. Or just let them go were they are comfortable. My youngest when she gets sick, she won't eat, drink nothing, but lay there on the rocking chair an doze on an off. My oldest on the other hand won't tell me she is sick and does everything "normal" the only way to tell if she is sick is by watching how much she eats. Try giving your little one some lil colds fever reducer as well. Good luck hope the little one feels better SOON.
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 11:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh sorry didn't see the part for home remedies. Try having him sweat out the fever. It used to work on me. Just bundle the lil guy up. Not too long don't want a heat rash or anything.
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 11:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009