My doc prescribed Macrobid for my UTI...I had a c-section 8 days ago and this medication is passed in breastmilk...

I had a c-section 8 days ago and have a UTI now, which I guess is somewhat common. They prescribed me a medication called Macrobid which is an antibiotic. The bottle had a warning on it that it's passed in breast milk so i called my doc and the nurse told me that the medication only stays in your system for about an hour so as long as I take it after I feed her and wait at least an hour she will be fine....just wondering if anyone else has taken this while breastfeeding??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ***OP*** I checked the website that the first poster offered - (http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/medref.html) and it says that Macrobid is ok'd by the AAP. It's the same level as tylenol. I did talk to the pharmacist and she said that macrobid was the safest thing to take, but that there is always a risk, unfortunately...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Call a board certified lactation consultant and ask. Or you can check out this link http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/medref.html

Doctors don't know anything about medications and breast feeding. Best to ask a professional.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i did it is fine
    and drs do know what is best it is their jobs
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oh and even my childs dr said it was fine and safe and so did the lactation consultant at the hospital
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Dr's only study classes of drugs. But yes it should pass through your system quite quickly.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• just make sure you label the milk you make while your on it that way if something does happen the doctors will know that's what you were taking

PrinceEdsmommy

Answer by PrinceEdsmommy at 12:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Macrobid is one of the very few meds the National Institutes of health warns against, especially for infants less than a month old.

Nitrofurantoin

Administration of nitrofurantoin directly to infants under 1 month of age and in those with G-6-PD deficiency is contraindicated because of potential hemolysis in these infants. Nitrofurantoin doses in milk are low and it can be used while breastfeeding older infants, but it is best to avoid it in infants under 1 month of age and those with G-6-PD deficiency at any age.

I would tell the doc to give you a different med.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I believe i had an UTI while nurisng and instead of macrobid I took a different kind. Unfortunately I cnat remember. Id try a different one.
    Take lots of Vit C (if it doesnt go against the antibiotic)
    acidopholus and try colloidal silver.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 1:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Drink lots of water and take cranberry caps

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would be asking the doc for a different drug. There are other ones that are safe while nursing and then you wouldn't have to worry about it. The doc may not have known you were nursing unless you specifically told them. I know I have to remind mine anytime he prescribes meds for me. Docs are not all knowing either. THey are human and make mistakes too! I would talk with someone who specializes in breastfeeding to find out what else you can take like a lactation consultant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009