Opinions-would this work?

Subject: Fwd: FW: Economy

This is from an article in the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?"

Dear Mr. President:
Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy.

Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings -
Unemployment fixed.
2) They MUST buy a new American Car. Forty million cars ordered-
Auto Industry fixed.
3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -
Housing Cri

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would totally support this idea...don't care where it came from either...it sounds logical and good. I'm not sure who thought of it and I don't care who thought of it...I would support it. Now, does anybody have any idea why this wouldn't work? Also, if the people who get the money don't use Social Security that frees up some money there, also.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• interesting.. I would like to read more if nothing else eo better debate it.... Let me see if I can find a link
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• That would never work!!!!!!! it would be like a band aid for a bullet hole
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Interesting idea. Problem is HEALTH CARE. Or are we going to expand Medicare for these folks too?

My husband turns 50 this month, and he'd gladly take a retirement package like that since I have health care and turn 50 in four years. Then I'd be eligible for your proposed program, but not for Medicare unless the rules are changed.

One more possible problem...loss of institutional knowledge. Brain drains tend to create major problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It might not work. But throwing millions of $ at an auto industry that has been atrociously managed for years and has moved backwards towards the future continuing to produce ill-engineered gas guzzlers ( fuel consumption no better than it was 20 years ago ). Where are American hybrids, electric cars, diesel powered passenger cars ? Nowhere. I seriouly doubt the industry's ability to survive as it is too wedded to existing products and technology and the present out-of-date inefficient gasoline powered engines.

So the option above is no worse and may be better than those the government has chosen.

As for the money market racketeers, they should have been alloweed to go to the wall. They caused the recession in the first place and their assets would have been bought by more responsible companies anyway, without millions of taxpayers' money being spent on propping up those responsible for the present mess.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Sounds like it may have some possibilites
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 4:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hell, I'd take it and I'm only 37! I'd FIND a way to make it last!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Buy more cars? We have too many cars on the roads. We need to fix our crumbling infrastructure and get people working in new industries, not the old, dying ones.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Where are American hybrids

GM makes them. Many of them. Americans don't want to buy them. Where are the people willing to pay for an American hybrid vehicle? That's the real question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Social Security would have a burst of money for years because people would get jobs and the age to collect would be 67. That is a sure way to inject the system with money that the government won't be able to stop. The millions of jobs it would free up would be a big boost to the whole economic situation because people would have the security needed to buy things and purchase homes. My only problem is the buying American made cars. Our auto industry is in a shambles and many people do not want to buy our own cars because they are crap and don;t last very long. And, now wioth the government having their sticky fingers in the industry I am not too sure it is a sure fired way to help the industry or the public. If we live within our means, a million dollars will go a long way........
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2009