How much of this should my 2yr old attend?

I'm going thru a nasty divorce. Soon to be ex and I can't seem to come to an agreement on custody. Until we go to court I have primary custody, and soon to be ex gets him every other weekend. Our son just turned 2 on the 23rd. His grandma ( soon to be ex's mom) passed away tonight. I know that our son will be expected to attend the funeral and am ok with that. I really feel like a 2 yr old shouldn't be expected to attend all of this, some yes, but not all of it. When soon to be ex's best friend died, I took our son to the visitation only and kinda feel it should be the same way this time. Am I wrong? How much of this do you think I should allow our 2 yr old to attend? We are not fighting over this, yet, but am sure it will come up in the next day or 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is her grandson. i would think it appropriate for him to attend anything that is age-appropriate for a toddler
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't really expect a two year old to sit through everything. I think I would just let dad take him and if he thinks its become to much bring him home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'm not a fan of having young children attend funerals, especially when they're too young to understand death. But this is not like the friend who passed away, this is your son's grandmother. Fortunately, he's young enough that he really won't understand anything other than that it's a party for everyone to say goodbye to Grandma.

With an impending custody hearing, you're going to have so many more important issues to contend with along with your ex. I wouldn't make this a hill to die on. Instead, use it to establish a habit of working together. It's a pretty easy thing to agree with, right? If you're agreeable now, maybe he'll remember and be agreeable later.

Besides, it'll look good for you in court later.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2009