Have you ever heard of an allergy to sunscreen???

My son will be 7 on Sunday and last year someone put Banana Boat sunscreen on him while he was at school. Low and behold he was allergic to it. He broke out in hives and started having problems breathing. I'm terrified to try any other sunscreen in fear it will have the same effect. So I make sure he is well covered and has a hat on. Thankfully he tans instead of burning.

samanthapearl

Asked by samanthapearl at 12:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Was it the spray on type? There is an ingredient that can cause rashes on kids. I would try a small amount when you know you could get to the hospital if he has a reaction. Sunscreen is so important, if you are really worried call your dr.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't know if it was spray I asked the teach what she had given my son and she went through the list of what was given that sunscreen was the only thing he's never had. My father put Bullfrog (not spray on) on his leg at a water park and had the same reaction. I just took him to the doctor and was told that he's allregic to something in it. We have an appt to be tested for everything. Hopefully we will find out exactly what he is allergic to. I just bought Huggies brand since there's is for sensitive skin, fragrance free & hypoallergenic and I will be testing it on a small part of his leg after school is out. Hopefully there will be no reaction.
    samanthapearl

Answer by samanthapearl at 1:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Until you get in for his allergy appt Just make sure he wears long sleeve shirts and loose fitting pants. Make sure they are breathable material. I am extremely sun sensitive and sensitive to smells too. I generally use sunscreen but if I have a migraine and cannot handle the smell of sunscreen, I dress like this and it keeps me from getting burned.
    Poor little guy. I hope you find out what the cause of the reaction is.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You shouldn't use any body care product without checking the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database, maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the annual guide to pesticides in produce: www.ewg.org. Here is information on one of the banana boat baby products: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=175053

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• There are many ingredients in sunscreen that he could be allergic to. It is actually more common then you might think. The schools here will not put any sunscreen on unless it was provided by the parent and clearly labeled with the child's name for that reason. I would make sure the person doing the allergy tests knows that his reaction was to sunscreen because they might test for different things based on that. I would then check out the skin deep website and also see what ingredient that the Banana Boat and Bull frog have in common and see if you can find a sunscreen with out those. I know PABA is a big allergen in lotions and stuff and we use a PABA free sunscreen here.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'm allergic to sunscreen. after alot of trial and error I found out it was mostly the ones with PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid) best way to check if he is allergic to a sunscreen before you put it on him is to put a little on the underside of his forarm, the skin is more sensitive there. if he's allergic it will turn red, rashy, or itch. good luck
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 1:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Maybe look into organic sunscreen... with less chemicals. Like Mexitan or Soleo
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was allergic to sunscreen as a child. Being Scott/Irish, makes for very fair skin. I found the higher the SPF the more allergic I am.. I guess b/c, the lotion is stronger. And also, don't use suncreen that is out of date. That gives me a rash to. I try to buy a new lotion for each year.

I use a 30 SPF and Neutrogena or Coppertone, they don't seem to have any effects on me.

I hope you find something that works! Good luck!
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• there are also clothing lines and swim suit lines that have some built in sun protection, you could try maybe having him wear a small article of clothing from one of those lines and see if he has a reaction if not than you can have him wear those until he gets the allergy test done.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009