Please answer if you had the PUPPPS rash in pregnancy...

If you developed PUPPPs in pregnancy, was your baby a boy or a girl?

NoNonsenseMama

Asked by NoNonsenseMama at 1:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my friend delivered with pupps and it was a boy.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i never heard of that soo i looked it up and found you some facts.
    Cause of PUPPP
    The cause of PUPPP is unknown. It is not associated with preeclampsia, autoimmune disorders, hormonal abnormalities, or fetal abnormalities. Some investigators suggest that the rapid abdominal wall distension damages connective tissue and causes an inflammatory response. One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant.

ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 1:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's more common in boys. I hope you didn't want to be surprised after you had him/her. :/ PUPPPS suck.
    ours

Answer by ours at 1:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yea, I know about it but the reason I was asking is my friend was told she was having a girl...we all know u/s are not 100% effective. Anyway, she developed PUPPPS right at 36 weeks and everyone is telling her it's a boy and I also found the information stating it was much more common in boys so she's getting a little worried. Either way, it's not the end of the world, she just wanted me to ask and see how many people actually had girls that had the rash. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:18 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i developed that and i had a girl
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 3:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I did... mine was mild. and I had a boy
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 11:40 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• a boy!!
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 11:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Mine was extreemly bad and we had a boy! Took 4 months to get rid of it after I had him
    CaliMama88

Answer by CaliMama88 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• GIRL - I developed PUPPPS late May 2007 & still have it! I was around 30 weeks & tried EVERYTHING! We're still breastfeeding--that baby is 20 mos old & I am now pregnant again & it's worse than ever! I've seen doctors in 3 states & none are quite sure what it is. I do know I'd love to rid myself of being homebound from it. Ice packs sewn into the undies are the only relief I have found. Permanent scarring is lovely looking, too.
    EhCapaKori

Answer by EhCapaKori at 4:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2009

• I had a horrible horrible case of it and I had a girl. She is almost four and I still get really bad flare ups around my period.
    StephanieSH

Answer by StephanieSH at 10:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009