• In the Spotlight:

making my own baby food for my 9 month old

Hi Moms,
My little guy is almost 9 months old and has only has sweet potato, avacado, apple sauce and oat meal. I just bought a baby food maker and want to start making other foods for him, but i'm not sure what to try and make. My mother-in-law told me that salmon is good for his age, but i'm not sure about it. Also, what about chicken? Anyways, if you have ideas that would be fabulous! Thank you!

MauiMama87

Asked by MauiMama87 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not give meat to a baby until they are one year old. Its too hard for their tummies to digest. I would go more for fruits and veggies.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yeah just fruits and veggies, try broccoli, or carrots.. you can also try mixing fruit and veggies for a added taste
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• By that age both my boys where eating what we did (most of the time). It was cheaper, they loved the different types of foods. That where ofcourse blended to be able to feed them (my oldest son was already self feeding). And I gave them meats, new had an issue with it. Still every baby is different so talk with your doctor first!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families. It is loaded with recipes and nutritional information. You should be able to find it at your local library; the website has some great info, too: www.superbabyfood.com
    If you buy salmon, buy wild salmon; farm raised (besides being a dirty as a feedlot) has a lot less nutrition.
    The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) publishes a guide to fish safety: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009