When getting married do you have the option of having seperate credit or is it always automatically joined?

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 2:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Each person has their own credit scores that are unique to them. When you have joint accounts they will be reported to both you and your spouses credit reports.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yep, magpie is right. Suze Orman says, you should get a copy of your partners credit report on the first date, LOL! Not a bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• We kept separate accounts for years, and simply split the bills. As for credit scores, they are kept separate, but when you both file for a loan, the scores are generally averages. For instance, when we applied for a mortgage, our scores were averaged. But when I bought my car, I bought it on my own, so it was based only on my score.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• THE ONLY THING THAT IS AUTOMATICALLY JOINED SOMEWHAT IS IF ONE OF YOU OWN PROPERTY, IT WILL BECOME A 50 50 OWNERSHIP UNLESS OF COURSE YOU SIGN A NUPTIAL BEFORE MARRIAGE. EVERYTHING STAYS INDIVIDUAL UNTIL THE MARRIAGE CONTRACT ENDS AND YOU HAVE TO DIVIDE.

Answer by older at 8:10 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• the only way it joins is if u do something joint
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If you apply for credit jointly then it will merge your credit. If you always apply for things seperately then your individual credit will remain as such. You have to be very specific with those who may be checking your credit because most will assume joint credit if you are married.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2009