My fiance and me don't have bank accounts. We are some of those crazy people that don't believe in banks..lol... So, when we get married, will my bad credit effect his or do we have to have joint accounts to have any effect?

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 2:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm pretty sure you have to have something in both of your names..car, cell phone, house,etc. to affect the other. I had/have bad credit and my DH has perfect credit. We added my name to all his stuff to build my credit and made sure not to add his name to anything of mine so it wouldn't diminsh his. Just because you get married doesn't mean a thing. Marriage has nothing to do with credit or the other person's credit, you have to sign something putting your name on an account(and not necessarily a bank account either) and that company has to be one that builds credit for you..which not all do(like water for example)..So don't worry momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Right now I am in the process of going thru bankruptcy, as long as I do it before I get married it does not affect my fiance's credit. As far as I know I can rebuilt my credit nine months after it is over and I can be added to his credit cards to rebuild my credit back up.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 4:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If it's in both your names, both will prosper or suffer together. If it's in one of your names, then it's directly on the one person. At least, I think that is how it is.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Anonymous
    I'm pretty sure you have to have something in both of your names..car, cell phone, house,etc. to affect the other. I had/have bad credit and my DH has perfect credit. We added my name to all his stuff to build my credit and made sure not to add his name to anything of mine so it wouldn't diminsh his. Just because you get married doesn't mean a thing. Marriage has nothing to do with credit or the other person's credit, you have to sign something putting your name on an account(and not necessarily a bank account either) and that company has to be one that builds credit for you..which not all do(like water for example)..So don't worry momma!

Um that is not entirely correct.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2009