development

sometimes i get worried that my baby girl is not developing as fast as she should. Olivia is 11 weeks old. my friend had her daughter the day before i did and she is already sitting up in one of those bouncy things, and mine can barely lift her head up when i put her on her stomach. am i doing something wrong it just seems that all the other babies seem more advanced then she is. someone please tell me if i am crazy or not...lol!

mrswarner08

Asked by mrswarner08 at 3:35 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every baby develops at their own pace. Mine is 18 mos and barely talks while my friends kids talk all the time! we see 17 mo old children talking... You will always find another child who seems to be more advanced. She will get it soon enough! I think mine was about 3-4 month.. i don't really remember tho.....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• thank you so much it just seems like at times i am going crazy, being alone with a newborn with a deployed husband is not easy.
    mrswarner08

Answer by mrswarner08 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• All babies are different! Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton is a wonderful book on child development and milestones. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is also great information in the website: www.touchpoints.org

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I feel the same way sometimes because my friend had a baby a week after me and he is already eating all these foods and stuff. But it isnt a big deal! If you want your baby to learn to hold their head up faster then do situp exercises with them. pull them from lying to sitting very slowly while they hold their head a bit. they will eventually get it. Oha nd on the stomach, your baby wont scream at that age on their stomach? Mine did, she hated it!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 4:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• How much tummy time does she get? They need tummy time to develop their core and neck muscles in order to sit, crawl, stand, etc.

Is she behind? Not necessarily. But I've noticed a trend (in babies I've known personally) that those who are "a little slower" are back sleepers and therefore don't get as much tummy time as those who sleep on their tummies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• wow i'm in like the same exact situation! my baby girl is 10 weeks today actually, and she can lift her head up and everything, but its still pretty bobble-head like. lol. i give her tummy time though i think its just that babies develop at their own pace. i'm sure there is nothing wrong with your little girl at all! before you know it she'll be running around in circles. =]
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 11:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my daughter is 13 weeks and is just starting to lift her head during tummy time,
    i hate tummy time because she screams so i know i dont do it enough. but i figure why rush it, shell still learn to crawl and sit up.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son could freakin' lift his head all the way up from birth. I would always put it back down and tell him he was too little for all of that, LOL. But, I have seen some kids that are 8 months old and can't do it or even roll over or anything, they lay there like a log. It's only gonna happen when they decide to do it. We all are born with our own little clock telling us when to do stuff and everyone is different.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• thank you everyone for the answers
    mrswarner08

Answer by mrswarner08 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2009