Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you ever been bitten/stung by a centipede?

I just stepped on a DEAD one and it stung me somehow! Never been bitten/stung before, what can I expect?

 
AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 20 (8,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Step 1Remain calm. The bite will hurt and may cause swelling, but is treatable.

    Step 2Wash the area with soap and water.

    Step 3Apply a hot compress to reduce the pain. Or, if you have swelling, use an ice pack or cold compress to help relieve it.

    Step 4Try taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen to counter the pain.

    Step 5Treat the itch of a healing centipede bite with the application of a hydrocortisone cream.

    Step 6Watch the area of the bite for infection. While an antibiotic is not a first step for treating a centipede bite, it is important if an infection develops.

    This is what I found on searches
    ronjwake

    Answer by ronjwake at 3:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • Oh and it said also:

    Centipedes have a painful bite, but the good news is that the pain is often the worst of it. Centipede bites are not toxic enough to be deadly. If you are bitten by a centipede, here are steps that you can take to treat the bite.
    ronjwake

    Answer by ronjwake at 3:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • Thanks Ronj, I called my on-call dr and he said the ones here in WA aren't as venomous as the ones in like Hawaii, just to do exactly as above, wash it, maybe take some Tylenol, and watch it. I put some neosporin + pain cream on it and its working. Thankfully it was already dead or it would probably feel worse lol.
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 4:06 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

  • Ouch! I hope you feel better soon.
    PrydferthMenyw

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN