Do you make a kid finish dinner, if they ate all the veggies?

My son has a bad habit. He picks out the veggies in casseroles and only eats them. Last night I battled him to eat potatoes and meat.
Should I? He is eating the good stuff.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 5:47 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont think the poster specified an age. My two year old doesnt get forced to eat of' course. but my 7 and 8 year old knows the rules and it's not going to harm them for the rest of their life to eat whats on their plate for dinner. People are way too worried about the psychobable that get fed into our ears these days.
    dearone07

Answer by dearone07 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2009

• I dont know, its a rule in this house to finish their plates whether they like it or not. If mom makes it, they eat it. I know what my kids dont like though. like my jade doesnt like sourkraut, so i dont give her alot on her plate. but she still needs to eat it. Me and my husband were both raised like this. I think it teaches respect and not to be wasteful. jmo!
    dearone07

Answer by dearone07 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Its a good thing that he's eating the veggies but he still needs to eat other things. I would tell him he needs to at least eat one or two bites of each. My son doesn't like veggies but will eat them if they're hidden, but sometimes I tell him he needs to eat at least one bite and usually he will. He doesn't like it, but he does it because he knows he won't get down until he does!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was raised you have to have 3 bites of everything. I don't make my kids empty their plates, but they need to at least tase the other foods.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Personally, I think it's a bit early to enforce too many of the "you ahve to eat" rules. let him eat what he wants then move on. Just don't become a "short order cook" and keep making other dishes for him. Toddlers are notoriously picky and they won't starve. Don't focus too much on balanced meals each day. Look at how he eats over the week before being concerned about balancing his diet. My 2 yr old will have days where he'll eat only fruits, then only veggies, then only meats. Over the course of the week, he eats pretty well. he always drinks his milk. Sometimes I will push him to get him eating but that's usually if I know he's just giving me a hard time. Forcing kids to eat can establish bad habits in the future if it causes them to eat when they aren't hungry but just because the food is there.
    Anonymous

• Okay, very very important...never make a fuss about your childs eating habits at that age. It will cause him to have real issues with food as an adult. Like my daughters doc stresses, be in control of the food you give but not the amount they eat. Remember, he will not starve. I have read several articles on this as well. Her doc says, if she doesn't want to eat, don't say a word, just take her down from her chair and try the same thing later. Also, never say, "good boy" if he does eat. Just act as if it's nothing. Food should never be treated as a reward or punishment or future issues may develop. As long as he is eating something, it is okay.
    averys1mama

Answer by averys1mama at 11:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son has never liked potatoes and my daughter likes them.Look on the bright side.He likes his fruits and veggies.That's half of the battle for most parents.We have a "try it" rule in my home.Even if you don't like it you have to try it.I also compromise w/ my son on how much that he eats (he's 6 1/2).He will often ask me how many more bites that he has to take.My daughter (16 months) eats what she wants and hasn't learned to compromise yet.I don't force my children to finish everything on their plates,but if they don't finish and want something afterwards Imake them eat what's left of dinner.Not a new meal.Have you tried tofu as a protein yet?My son loves it.You could also make him veggie soup w/ a chicken or beef broth.My children love it w/ toast or crackers.We buy wheat bread or whole grain crackers.W/ the exception of goldfish crackers.Will he eat those?

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2009