What do you think of people that join the military for finacially reasons?

Do you think their selfish for joining to gain something out of it? I have heard that people do that. My opinion is that no matter the reason they joined they're still having to defend our country. I give them props for doing what I'm too much of a coward to do. Whats your take or feeling about people joining for financial gain.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 7:13 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think my husband joined (we were still in high school & not married at the time) because he had no other options-not to say that's everyone's situation. He knew he could learn a job skill & earn a steady paycheck and health insurance. After 9/11, the "I have to fight for my country" kicked in and he was fine with that too. If you have the guts to join, great for you. I don't care why you do it, as long as you don't complain when they send you to combat. Don't sign the line if you can't man up.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• They commit time AND Service and are willing to sacrfice their life for this country. They know the commitment going into the military. So, if they cannot fully assume their responsibility and are only looking for a paycheck... The military probably isn't for them.

Otherwise, they deserve to be compensated and in many areas are not compensated enough for what they do. jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:31 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I think that whatever the reason they are incredibly brave for joining. My hubby joined the military because at the time he was working a dead end job and had no real direction as to what he wanted to do with the rest of his life. I can honestly say that joining the military was one of the best thing that has happened to him. He has learned a lot about life, and had matured immensly over the past two years. Granted as with every job he has his ups and downs. Sometimes joining is really the best answer for them.
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 7:32 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Why do we take any job? to make money, basically to get something out of it in one way or another! EVERYONE who joins is trying to get something out of it, and IMO there is nothing wrong with that.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• And they do not "have to" defend their their country. They choose to do so when they choose to join.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Hey, you do what you gotta do...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't have a problem with anyone joining for financial reasons. A lot of people join to help get their college education and learn other skills. Personally, I think they deserve a lot more than they get. Just go to Washington and look at the names on the memorials. They gave more than they ever received.
    Mykidsmaid

Answer by Mykidsmaid at 7:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't know any military person who is rich.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree that we all make decisions that will benefit us financially. Really having the drive and desire to excel in your field is the icing on the cake.

IMO, military personnel deserve more than the compensation they get. The sacrifice on their behalf, and the behalf of their families is great and I have nothing but respect for each and every one of them.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i dont know,my neighbor is in the military and they seem to be rich to me.she is up here and he is down in az playing golf.(at least thats what he tells my husband)am i jelous no am i curious as to whats going on yes.but as you all say its none of my business.but its just wrong.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2009