Vent: Do you know how much I hate childrens flip flops!!!

I work in a preschool, ususally I teach music and computers to the older children. But this week I filled in for a 2 year old teacher and those kids need new shoes.

Most of the little girls were wearing cheap walmart flip flops and they cause so many problems.

First, we go outside to play, and their are rocks and dust on the playground, they get rocks in their shoes and their feet are nasty by the time they are done playing. Then, they kick them off and they like to swap shoes, we have had them go home with the wrong shoes before, we try our best to remember whos are whos.

Then when they are running, they fall off and we have had children get hurt that way. Yesterday we had a girl with flip flops that had a VERY thick sole, at one point her ankle turned over and she fell, then she started crying, I was panicked thinking she broke her ankle.

She was fine. Why do the parents not see the issues these shoes cause?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP HERE:

We tell them , and they seem not to care. Our director wont do anything. UGGGG....aggravation

Its like they DONT own tennis shoes at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I cringe when I see kids wearing flip flops and Crocs!!!
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 7:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids wear flip-flops all summer (including my toddler who got her first pair last summer at 2). But I would never send them to school/daycare with them on. They aren't appropriate for school. I got into a huge fight with my oldest when she was in 1st grade because all the other kids were wearing them but the rules said no open toed shoes so I didn't allow it. I didn't allow her nice sandals either. But at home that's all they wear in the summer. My 3yo even cuts those little heal straps off of hers. She hates those things and has never needed them to keep her flip flops on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my kids wear flip flops and sandals during the summer, but this past school year was my first and my daughter never wore them to school. even on picture day, she wore a dress with tennis shoes. (she was in preschool, so i didnt think it would be safe to sandals)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My rule is that they are not to wear anything BUT flip flops during the summer because I dont want to wash socks. But my kids dont go to daycare either and they are old enough to keep up with them. Would the director allow you to send a note home asking the parents to send the kids with tennis shoes on because of the outside time? I mean, if someone told me my child was getting hurt, I would not send her in clog shoes. Common sense should prevail, but sometimes it doesnt.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Maybe you ask the parents to leave an old pair of sneakers for the play ground? I know it doesn't solve all of your problems but if you have to choose your battles it seems like the kids getting hurt on the play ground is a good fight for you and a sure win. You could just put it on a flyer and send it home with the kids "Summer is just about here and we're all excited to wear our sandals! Please bring in a pair of sneakers that you don't mind leaving here for the playground so we can avoid foot injuries! Thank you!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son won't wear flip-flops! He cries when you put them on. However he does wear crocs a lot, but he has wide feet and finding shoes for summer are very difficult! But he is only 1 and a half!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• wow any daycare I used would not allow open toed shoes in the facility.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids like flip flops and they each have a pair. They ALSO have tennis shoes. The preschool my kids used to go to asked that parents send tennis shoes with for gym or outside play for safety.

I don't see much difference in normal sandals and flip flops. They're going to get dirt, sand, and rocks in those too. If the parents have been told and don't care, then I wouldn't worry about it either!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I agree with pagirl71, my children have never been to a daycare or school where they were allowed to have open toe/heeled shoes....however this rule only applied indoors....my daughter now 7, wears her Crocs outside at school but has indoor running shoes, like every other kid. i can understand the frustration though, I think there's a certain age where children should be wearing flip flops, i think 2 is too young, if they're like Crocs and have a strap around the back of the heel then okay but shoes that just fall off is ridiculous for a toddler. It's unfortunate that some parents, not saying all, are more concerned with how their kid's outfit looks rather than if the kid is comfortable or even able to move around properly.
    mamiofthree1982

Answer by mamiofthree1982 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2009