Is this taking it TOO far?

A disabled Vietnam veteran in Dallas with more than 14 years of service in the Marines is under attack by a homeowners association, MyFOXDFW.com reports.
Frank Larison's offense: showing his support for the Marines by displaying seven decals on his vehicle.
"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," Larison told the FOX affiliate.
The board of The Woodlands II on The Creek says the decals violate the rules of the homeowners association, which deems them advertisements — EVEN THOUGH the TV station spotted other residents' vehicles with bumper stickers for political parties, health causes and other non-commercial interests.
Larison has lived there for eight years. Now, he has been told in a letter to cover or get rid of the decals or his car will be towed and he could be fined $50 if it happens again, according to the report.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522718,00.html

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:27 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WTH~so much for the land of the free
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I never understood homeowner's associations anyway. Why move to a neighborhood where they tell you what your yard can look like and how to behave? I get it in a condo complex I guess because you are in such close quarters and you share things like pools or rec rooms, but I don't get it when it's just a neighborhood. This guy should just keep talking to the press about this until the HA backs off because they know that this will make them look stupid.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Yes it is. I think it's ridiculous. Sounds like something here not to long ago. A mother had a one star flag in her window to show that they had a family member serving in the military and they sent her letters telling her to take it down or she would be fine $50.00 a day from the homeowners association. Was all over the news here and eventually they apologized and said that they didn't know what the flag meant. I don't care who it is they have no right to tell you that you can't display patriotic things to support your country & military. It's a disgrace to everyone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• also, i'm extremely alarmed by the lack of respect for our soldiers and veterans. my grampa(god rest his soul) fought on d-day in ww2, he taught me what true pride and sacrifice it takes to feel secure at home, these ppl deserve more respect then anyone can ever give them because they sacrifice their families, health, life so civilians can be safe from harm. that community should feel ashamed of themselves and instead of creating negative energy(the world already has too much imo) they should be supportive of the communities soldiers and veterans.

Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• HOA's were not necessarily a bad thing but many of them are over the top and greedy. They are actually becoming useless.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Are you sure that's the whole story? Its FOX news, so I suspect they left something important out. No one is going to target a veteran just because he's a veteran. That doesn't even make sense.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 7:53 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• moonlitfairy I'm bet that is the WHOLE story. They aren't targeting him for being a veteran they are targeting him for what he displays on his vehicle. Same thing here but it was from the home window.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Wow, moonlitfairy. Just assume it is Fox's reporting... LOL...
    OK~How is this one:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/jragland/stories/DN-ragland_27met.ART.State.Edition1.50fc6cf.html
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Or this one
    http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/jeffwagner/46468032.html

Or if these appear to be too biased for you; YOU could google the mans name... :oP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• What a shame and an embarrassment for them to call it advertising.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2009