How can I get my hubby to stop telling inlaws r financial inf.?

My Mother- In-law is very noisy, she always asks my hubby about our private finacial inf. In example- @ xmas she asked him where I got the money to buy him a xmas present and he told her out of our joint savings acct. I am a stay at home Mom. I also get child suppport for another child I had before I married her son. Our Anniversary is coming up and I know she will ask him again- where did she get the money to buy u that? I have told him before not to tell his family about our personnel things- How can I stop him and isnt it rude for her to ask?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• That's his mother. He feels he doesn't need to keep secrets from her. After all it's only money. It's not like he's telling her what you will or won't do in bed.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• She is rude to ask u where u got the money from when she already knows that- u are a stay at home mom- so she knows- she wants to try to make ur hubby feel bad -like his money is paying for everything--- when ur marries the money belongs to both of u now- she is rude to ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It's rude. It's none of her business how the two of you handle your finances.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• obviously he has a better relationship with his mother than you ever had with yours or this would not upset you this much, it is not like she is asking him for money!!!!! you are making a mountain out of a mole hill!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• It is a private matter- do u look at her check book? It is rude- tell him he shouldnt talk that over with her to avoid those questons. My Mother doesnt have the nerve to ask such a thing? Some people have a lot of nerve/ rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• He should be prepared to say, "Mom you asked me the same damn thing at Christmas. Do we need to have you check for alzheimer's?" and leave it at that. While I don't have a problem with him telling mom what he spent for the new lawn mower or how big his last raise was, when she puts it like that she IS just trying to be a pain in the a$$ and he should point out to her that he has noticed that she isn't just showing an interest in his life, but is meddling. Of course if it was my hubby and his mama was putting her nose in, He would say something totally rude back like "She is hooking on the side." Of course my MIL would have known he was making a fool of her and would have never believed for a minute that it was true. Some MIL's I've heard of would not only believe it but tell the family.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I know how difficult it can be to stand up to the in-laws, I met mine when i was 16 and our relationship was hell cuz i was so young , had a baby and thought i knew everything. i felt the same way, that she would budd in on everything. i know she may have meant well but still, you feel as though now you're an adult, why do you have to answer to anyone?? I think you should talk it over with your husband that you would like to say something, nothing too drastic of course but just something like 'these are our financial issues, and we can handle it on our own thanks'. maybe she just needs to be told by someone who maybe gets the tone across who she least expects it from? however she could take it one of two ways...she'll cry wolf and say you were really rude and disrespectful or she'll just back off the money issue. she's obviously overlooking your lives, maybe she's jealous of you? you just never know....GOODLUCK on that one!!
    mamiofthree1982

Answer by mamiofthree1982 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Your husband can tell his mom what he wants. If you don't like it you can say something but is it really worth it when it could cause a rift between you and him and you and her? Pick your battles. My husband tells his mom about our finances. It used to bug me but it is not worth it. She is not asking for money from us and is not rude to me. I think she just cares about us and wants to make sure we are OK. If he was talking about your sex life I could understand you being upset. Again pick your battles you don't want to start a war with your mil you will most certainly lose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2009