My daughter is 14 months. She was 2 months early so technically she is like a 12 month. My problem is that she wont hold her bottle. If I put her hands on it, she will hold it a little but not up like she should. So, in turn she gets a lot of air. How can I get her to hold the bottle and hold it properly?

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 7:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had the same trouble. Try sippy cups with straws. They don't have to lift them up. That really worked well for my kiddo for a while until she got the hang of a sippy cup that you had to tilt up... now she can't figure out why the straw sippy doesn't work when she tiltls it!

Anyway, the Nuby brand makes a great, no spill, straw sippy that worked well for us. We used it with milk and with juice. And surprisingly, she got the hang out of sucking from a straw right away. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 10:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son wont hold his bottle- he is one- and I think he likes Mommy holding him- so im not worried or rushing it- that is our special time and he enjoys it when i hold him and give him his bottle- so do not worry she will grow up and u will wish u could hold her again like u used too- if she can hold toys and pick up food with fingers- i wouldnt worry about it. She probably likes to snuggle with u.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My little one is 14 months and is the same doesn't hold the cup straight. I put her on my lap and give her the sippy cup to drink. I am doing this these days, raising the level of my lap solwly for making her to lift the cup.Planning to give this a try for a week. There is a time they will learn, may be they enjoy being in our laps or fed by us. I am a stay at home mom so she expects me to do everything for her. I have seen kids going to day care being able to do things ealier..likes drinking from bottles, eating from a plate.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 8:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Your child is no longer considered behind by 2 months, so she is 14 months, not 12. Have you thought of just getting rid of the bottle? My daughter never held hers either, so we introduced the sippy cup at 9 months and the bottles were gone the week of her 1st birthday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son will be a year old in a few days. h can hold his own bottle but only when laying down or sitting on an inclne of some sort. He doesnt get the concept of tilting his head back to get the liquid out. I have tried sippys but he makes me hold them! So maybe to get her started you could let her lay on an incline and see if she will do it? I am at a loss on this one too....
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• get rid of that bottle...pre term, my baby was as well. but if they cant hold it by now--get that baby a sippie cup...air is not an issue with a baby that big......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• well, my son never held his bottle and he was on it til 16 months..lol!! some kids just dont' apparently.. I never knew that til i had my son though.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• why not take the bottle away my dughter weened herself off it at 11 months and my 2nd daughter is 10 months and she doesnt want it all the time so i think she will be off it soon too
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I would not even try the bottle , I would go straight to the sippy cup. Especially since she doesn't seem to want the bottle any way. My son was 6 weeks early and will be 15 months on the 10th, we went from breastfeeding to sippy at about 9 months when we found out I was pregnant again. If you use the valve type and she has problems, put her favorite drink in the cup, remove the valve and hold the cup at such an angle that she won't choke on the liquid. It took about 2 weeks of me doing this before mine started wanting his cup and thats when I put the valve back in for his safety and just let him have the cup. It took him about 3 days before he got the hang of the valve, but then he was fine. The reason I suggest the removal of the valve is because the easier it is for them to drink, the more likely they are going to want to use the cup.
    ShutterBug4Life

Answer by ShutterBug4Life at 12:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The only way my son would hold his own bottle was if I laid him back on a pillow or put the back of the high chair as far down as it would go. He wouldn't even hold a sippy cup up, he'd just try to suck it up out of the spout. So I give him his drinks in straw cups.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2009