How many of you have allowed your children to see you or another family member naked??

Do you think this is weird? Is it illegal? SHOULD IT BE?
Is it abuse?
Tell me what you think..?

Someone I know grew up where her entire family walks around inside their home naked.. and will litterally strip down at a drop of a hat.. especially in the warmer weather.
She says her father used to walk around in front of her..

NOW WHEN I SAY WALK AROUND THAT IS LITTERALLY WHAT I MEAN.. LIKE WALK FROM BEDROOM TO BATHROOM IN MIDDLE OF NIGHT.. OR AFTER A NAP.. OR AFTER A BATH.. WITH OR WITHOUT TOWELS..ETC.. THAT IS WHAT I MEAN.. I DO NOT MEAN JUST SITTING THERE.. ALL DAY OR WALKING AROUND ALL DAY..

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Seeing each other naked in a large family is not exactly something new nor out of the norm, at least so says my mother who was one out of nine children in a very small place. I don't consider it illegal; I consider taking pictures of your nude family member and selling them to be, or having sexual relations with your family member to be.

Now having said that my children don't see us walk around naked, nor do they walk around naked. My girls have seen me undress in a fitting room as I have seen them undress in a fitting room, and they have seen their grandma undress in one, we do a girls outing together where we shop for the next years wardrobe.

I don't consider it weird or wrong; I consider the implication that a child seeing the natural human body as something weird or sexual is sad. Some of my favorite paintings and sculptures depict nudity, I don't have sexual desires when I see them... they’re fascinating.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• well my 3 year old til takes showers with me. he dont see any one else nakedlike aunties or uncles. i thinkits allmost time to cut him off from showering with me
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 7:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My dd is 6 and we havent done "naked" adults in a few years. I dont think my husband was ever really naked in front of her.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids are grown now, but I used to walk around naked in front of them. They never thought anything weird about it and grew up just fine. I'll still walk from the bathroom to my room naked in front of my daughter if she's at my house when I shower. I don't do it in front of my son since he's 26.
    barby402000

Answer by barby402000 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If it's a normal daily occurrence I wouldn't think anything of it. How do you think nudists raise their kids...everyone is naked in the house all the time. Nothing wrong with that and I would think someone raised like that from day one wouldn't think much of it because it would be normal (unless someone else got it in their head that it is "wrong").
    My husband still walks around naked in front of the kids (the girls are 8, 6 and 3 and our son is 7). My 6yo daughter goes stark naked a lot. I'm constantly telling her to go put some clothes on (and I mean NAKED, no underwear or anything). My 3yo likes to be naked, too. The kids don't think anything of it. And I sure don't think it's abuse or that it should be illegal. That's nuts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Naked is natural. Though now that my boys are older and view a womans body a little differently we do cover our bottom private parts. But it's nothing for any of us to walk in the bathroom on someone. Or come in a room while the other is dressing. It's what we've always done.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son is only 10 months so he doesn't really care if I'm nude or not. All he care about is that he can nurse when he wants to! LOL!

When I was first starting to breast feed my nephew (four y/o at the time) would be in the room. I noticed that he was getting a little too interested in watching me and trying to get a glimpse of things. he started looking down his own shirt and asking why he didn't have any bumps and what are his nipples and what are they for. So I decided to stop nursing around him. (though I did tell him that the dots on his chest are nipples and that on men they serve no purpose but on women they feed babies).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I don't think it's bad or weird at all in front of a younger audience. When the kids are getting older and start needing privacy and going through puberty, that's when I think it gets weird.

My kids are 3, 5, and 6 and we do the same thing. It's not abuse....we were all born naked!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• all my kids when they were younger bathed with us. I lived in Germany for 6 years and went to get family photos taken and walked into the photography studio to see whole families-grandparents down to babies in family photos naked. I think at a certain age boy relatives should not see girl relatives naked. And viseversa. I don't necessarily think it's abuse. Unless of course it's being done to satisfy someone's sick perverse sexual desire. I mean some families are raised as nudists. Heck I can't keep clothes on my 3 yo. Her 12 yo brother sees her parading around naked for all to see at home on a daily basis. Trust us we try to keep her clothed. I think as long as it's not shown to be dirty and noone is uncomfortable about it. To each their own. However in my house we strongly discourage everyone from being undressed.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• where's the harm? there's a difference between being naked and playing find the tea cup with aunt sylvia lol nudity is natural. children need to know both anatomies. i dont care. now if u were naked and having sex in front of my kids thwn yes we have a problem
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009