How well should your child speak by three years old?

My son turns three on June 18 and sometimes we understand him very well and then other times he talks so fast we can only get the last word.When do you know if he needs a speach therapist?

Teanna899

Asked by Teanna899 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• every baby is different. ,my son talks clear on somethings nd he is 3 years old. sometimes i have to repet him self. my nefew took for ever to talk he was about 4
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 8:15 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My son was 3 in February and he is a fast talker at times as well. Right now he is not talking at all because he is sick..Poor guy...but anyway, when my son starts rambling or fast talk, I stop him and I tell him to slow down and tell me what he was saying slower. it is working for me. Usually if the child is in pre school then the teacher would bring the speech therapist in or speak to you about sending him to one.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I dont think theres a specific way to determine that but there are signs to look for. Ask his doc because I know my son has a speech delay. Its not something I am concerned about but I just know its there. He was 3 in April and is just now saying 3 word sentences. He doesnt use appropriate pronouns either. He says "me eat", or " Leli (my older son is Eli) hit me me arm." Stuff like that. He knows exactly what I am saying. Doctor told me to let him go at his own pace as long as he was progressing. Hes where most other kids were at 2 1/2. He just got a late start. He said nothing until he was about 2.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my son is 4 yo and he is in speech therapy, he is doing so much better now, but my 13 month baby can talk a lot...mama,papa, no, her sis and bro names what she do is she reaped everything .

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My daughter just turned 3 a couple weeks ago. I'm going to estimate that we can understand about 70% of what she says. She seems to know what she's trying to say but just can't get it out right. I don't think it's cause for alarm.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my ss son is 2yr old , he will be 3 in july and we only understand half of what he says. we make him slow down and repeat intill we understand what he wants
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2009