sleeping position?

I know a lot has changed since everyone on here was a baby! I know I slept on my belly when I was a baby and I'm still here! I'm just about 4 months along and my husband and I have been talking about it. He's one of those guys that wants proof people are still doing it and their babies are fine! So the question is who all on here lays their baby down on their belly instead of their back?

Emmery1985

Asked by Emmery1985 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All of mine slept on their tummies.

My oldest started on his back and choked on his spit up. I had to turn him upside down and suction him it was so bad....TWICE it happened. Nope.

Babies still dies of SIDS on their backs, co-sleeping or whatever. My son went from sleeping 10 minutes at a time to sleeping 3 hours.

I'd rather us all be happy and enjoy the time we have together instead of worrying constantly of something that MIGHT happen no matter what. No one knows what causes it, how to prevent it or anything. It's called "sudden" death for a reason. By the time you realize something is wrong, it's too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I prefer the side with all mine, I didn't want her face in her spitup or I was afraid she would be face down on her sheet.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• both my kids were belly sleepers, they are now 10 and 15
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:56 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My kids didn't belly sleep till they could roll there for themselves.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My baby slept on his back until he was able to roll over on to his tummy (and was not able to roll back on to his back). He would roll over and sleep like this since he was around 4 months and still does and he will be 1 on June 12th. I had MANY sleepless nights worrying about him sleeping like that but there was nothing I could do-if I rolled him on to his back he would flip right back over! I would def put your baby on their back to sleep though until they decide they want to sleep on their belly.
    mommy2JJP

Answer by mommy2JJP at 11:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• The risk of SIDS is actually very low.
    BUT - putting your child to sleep on his back has been proven to cut that risk in half.
    http://www.firstcandle.org/new_exp_parents/new_exp_safesleeptips.html

I read an interesting (and sad) study recently. The death rate from SIDS skyrocketed in the Netherlands a few years ago and no one knew why. They eventually traced it to a new brochure being handed out to new parents that recommended putting babies on their bellies to sleep. They pulled the brochure and the death rate fell.

That said... how did my baby sleep? She slept on her tummy. She flatly would NOT sleep on her back, dosing off for no more than 20 minutes before screaming again. By 2 weeks old, I knew she was in desperate need of sleep and I tried letting her sleep on her tummy. It worked. I went out and bought the AngleCare monitor system to ease my fears. She also had reflux and reflux babies usually prefer tummies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2009