How do I get my 14 year old daughter to stop smoking?She denies it,but the evidence is there.I've tried grounding her to her room,taking away priviledges,but nothing seems to be working.

bloomfieldlady

Asked by bloomfieldlady at 10:04 AM on Jun. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to her and ask her questions..does she know how easily she can get addicted and how difficult it is to stop. Discuss the proven direct correlation between smoking and cancer and then discuss what cancer is and how hard it is to stop. My aunt died of lung cancer that had spread everywhere and I will tell you that the way she died was the most horrific thing to witness. She had a 5 year old daughter at the time and it was heartbreaking. NOT WORTH IT!
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• find out where she's getting them. And threaten to turn them in for buying minors cancer sticks. It's illegal.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Do you smoke? Im wondering where she is getting them. don't back down and keep punishing her when you find evidence...make take a long time if she ever gives it up but you cna make it very difficult for her to do with lots of concequences.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• -see if there is a way you can volunteer at a local hospital that cares for cancer patience! Get her to have some 1 on 1 time with a few that have tubes down their throat....
    -if a hospital is not near -- go online & find some youtube videos about it & email them to her..
    -if you catch her again. Go old school & make her smoke a whole pack at once...

Its hard to say because I started smoking really young, like 10.. i just was able to quit when i found out i was pregnant with dd (shes 2 now)...
    Good Luck.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• tell her all of the health complications that come with smoking. don't let her use the phone or hang out with her friends because that is probably the problem. She more than likely has friends that smoke and to fit in she is doing the same. Don't take away all of her friends just weed out the bad ones. Let the good friends come to the house, but as punishment your daughter should only see her friends at your home. If she doesn't like that then too bad, she lost trust and respect and it must be earned back.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:13 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• If she's smoking, she's addicted & punishments like grounding just aren't going to work.

Turning in the person who's giving them to her isn't a bad idea --- IF that person is over 18 & you can prove it. Most likely, though, she's getting them from other kids at school, which won't do you much good.

It might not be a popular idea, but I'd raid her room & belongings on a daily basis. Yes, kids that age need a certain amount of privacy but that privacy has to be EARNED... and she's not doing that.

I'd also call the school & tell them you want her lockers checked on a regular basis & that you support whatever punishment they want to dish out for having tobacco products on school grounds.

And, like what's already been suggested, she needs some personal time with cancer patients & the families of those who've lost someone to cancer.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I'd have her consult a doctor if you can, or an clinique/program that helps smokers stop. Hopefully, a dr. can convince her to stop, they can take blood tests to measure her nicotine level and propose some aids to help her stop as well as monitor her. I agree with PP who says she's probably addicted now, and yes, you won't be control her supplier - if she wants them, she'll find a way.

I don't want to say that 'smoking isn't a big deal', but I'd think how much of a battle you would want to make in raiding her room and stealing her privacy. If she is very rebellious, you might just start the beginning of a long war. It's an option, but it may have other undesireable consequences.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I was smoking at 15 and quit when I was pregnant at 19/20. Started back up and havent been able to stop. At that age they aren't going to listen to health risk lectures. They feel invincible. No money, NOTHING. Have her call up the quit smoking hotline directly in front of you. Tell her you have X amount of days to smoke and after that NOTHING. Check her daily for her patch or if she's been using the gum. If its at school (we had a smokers corner that no one could do anything about) tell the Principal that if she comes to school smelling like smoke, she gets some sort of reprimand.
    CoolMommy86

Answer by CoolMommy86 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2009